We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos at Excellence Isla Mujeres

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
TORONTO, ONT
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos at Excellence Isla Mujeres

Can someone please tell me if there are mosquitos and bugs around all the time?

Are they out in the day when you are sitting in the sun?

I am quite concerned as I am going in January and dop not want to get eaten alive.

When do you that have been there think the resort will be completely ready?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos at Excellence Isla Mujeres

There can be mosquitos in some of the swampier areas . . . though I have yet to see one in either Jan or Feb when I have been there. Certainly not on the beach . . . but I know they have some bugs and mosquitos on Isla. I wouldn't be overly worried.

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos at Excellence Isla Mujeres

Coalminer, Excellence Isla Mujeres is on the mainland, not the island, and part of it was carved out of swamp and jungle only recently, so it is a far different environment than the island of Isla Mujeres. With the jungle, the lagoons, and the golf course vegetation near the resort, the bugginess at the hotel will depend largely on the direction of the prevailing breeze-- and whether it is strong enough to blow the skeeters away. That will vary from day to day at Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos at Excellence Isla Mujeres

Chatelaine - thank you for taking the time to clarify! I do appreciate that. If this place isn't on Isla Mujeres, why don't we redirect them to the Cancun forum?? Just wondering about that - and am assuming this place is near Cancun then. Thanks! :)

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos at Excellence Isla Mujeres

Well, Excellence Playa Mujeres is not on the island of Isla Mujeres...but it IS within the municipality of Isla Mujeres... on the mainland in what is called the "continental zone" of Isla.... just north of Punta Sam (where the car ferry to the island departs). It is not within the city limits of Cancun; in fact it's about 20 minutes north of the Cancun Hotel Zone. As an expensive, all-inclusive resort carved out of the mangrove swamps on the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, Excellence Playa Mujeres probably has more in common with some Cancun and Riviera Maya resorts than it does with what most of us think of as bohemian, low-key Isla Mujeres. But legally EPM is a part of Isla Mujeres, not Cancun. It's just not on the island.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos at Excellence Isla Mujeres

Makes sense - thanks again for the clarification. :)

6. Re: Mosquitos at Excellence Isla Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 13, 2009