We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach at secreto

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minneapolis, mn
1 post
Save Topic
beach at secreto

we're looking to visit the isla for a week in late january 2006, but aren't sure what hotel would be best. we have no kids, just want a relaxing vacation. Can anyone tell me about the beach at hotel secreto--is it horrible?

any advice on that versus the hotels on the north beach? from what i've read, if you're a beach/swimming person, you should stay at north beach. if you could help, we'd really appreciate it.

thanks, shushu

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
136 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach at secreto

The beach at Secreto is not swimmable. It's very large waves, very rough beach. It is, however, very private. We stayed at Playa La Media Luna which shares the same beach and really enjoyed this part of the island. the North beach is by far the best beach, but crowded and most hotels do not offer chairs for free (weird). We also stayed at the Casa Maya a couple of months ago......I'd say best beach on the island with chairs, a very nice shaded area with tons of hammocks. The rooms are basic at best, but I'd go back to Casa Maya any day because of the utter relaxation you'll experience. It just depends on whether a nice room is important to you.

Kingston, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach at secreto

My husband and I stayed on teh North Beach at Casa de Maria. We loved the convenience of being on a lovely beach and able to walk back to our room in about 2 minutes. However, we did have to pay $12./day for two plastic (sometimes broken) beach chairs and an umbrella. The room was adequate but sparse-don't rely on the TV, as there isn't any cable at this establishment. You can read my reveiw of the hotel, if your interested. We would probably stay at Playa De Media Luna if we are fortunate enough to go bak to Isla and walk a bit farther -maybe 10 minutes- to Playa Norte.

Brighton
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach at secreto

The beach at Hotel Secreto is a bit disappointing but don't let this put you off - the hotel itself is lovely - in a quiet area, with a small pool and gardens - nice to look out to sea whilst in the pool. However the North beach and town centre are only a short distance and a pleasant walk away.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach at secreto

The beach at Secreto is not disappointing at all. It's gorgeous, very private, and the cooling breeze is perfect when lounging in the sun (otherwise it's too hot!). Plus, Playa Norte is only minutes away if you want to go swimming. I would not be put off of staying at Secreto because of the beach. It's a great hotel with a lovely beach in my opinion, and a perfect location.