We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Isla?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gary, Indiana
Level Contributor
882 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in Isla?

My wife and I will be heading to Isla for the first time in January. I would really like to take my higher end camera and some lenses for Contoy but wanted to get everyone's take on the safety of that.

Will I need to be extra careful about leaving my camera/lenses in my room or say on the boat when I am snorkeling?

Perhaps I am being paranoid. I would love to take some high quality photos while I am there but I don't want to bring my gear if it's just not worth the risk.

Thanks!

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Isla?

Isla is very safe, but you still need to take the usual precautions. Many hotels have safes that you can put your stuff in while at the hotel. If you are taking the Isla Controy tour with Capt. Tony I would feel safe with my stuff on his boat. You can also purchase a "pacsafe" which is what we do. Check out the website for details at info@pacsafe.com or www.pacsafe.com. We will be there in January too, from the 2nd through the 16th. When are you going?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,895 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Isla?

Well, like traveling anywhere, I would take precautions . . . like not leaving it on the beach where someone could help themselves. Isla has some petty theft, but I have felt safer there than traveling in many areas in the USA.

As far as your trip to Contoy, are you going with Capt. Tony?? Not only is he trustworthy, he is also an incredible photographer - he would help you make the most of your trip.

For more feedback, I would post this on the Q&A forum on www.islamujeres.info - maybe others have had the same question and can help you with it better than I can. Good luck! I am sure you are going to have a wonderful time! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,895 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in Isla?

oh, ryansmom types & posts faster than me . . . sorry for the repeat of info! :)

Gary, Indiana
Level Contributor
882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Isla?

Thanks everyone. I just planning my trip now but thinking 1/4 through ???. I probably will go with Capt Tony and I guess I will just throw it in a safe or perhaps whatever hotel I end up booking will have a large enough safe in the room to accomodate it.

Thanks again!

5. Re: Crime in Isla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 10, 2009