We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Dean

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Dean

I've read this hurricane may hit the Yucatan. Is Isla Mujeres in it's projected path? The thought of a powerful storm devasting the island and all the wonderful people who live there just sickens me.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,040 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hurricane Dean

To those of you interested in giving back to Isla, there are several ways to do that . . . there are a couple of schools on the island - the Little Yellow School House (www.isla-mujeres.net/school/home)which is for handicapped children and the LaGloria English school (www.folges.org) which helps adults and children to learn better English and I am sure a few others non-profits as well, such as: (www.islaanimals.org) I would contact each organization to see what they would best need at the time. Sometimes it's gently used clothes, school supplies, or just $$.

One year, we packed several extra bags with school supplies, clothes, shoes, etc. (pack light for yourself) The only thing that held us up in customs was the chalk we packed - looks like bullets on the xray machines! :) The extra bags then can hold all the stuff you purchase while on Isla.

The people there would love it if you could squeeze some things in to your bags - it's a great way to help out a place and people that provide a great vacation to you! :)

St. George, Utah
8 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Hurricane Dean

Hey Coalminer -I would love to pack a few "extras" on my way to Isla and am so glad it was spared the "wrath" of Dean. Give examples of what we can take with us. Slimboli and Sunshine - we are leaving on the 1st for our week on Isla - lets grab a "rita".

ps Coalminer. Was raised in Fairbanks and would love to compare notes on Ak sometime !!

St. George, Utah
8 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Hurricane Dean

PS - with regard to what to pack - checked out the website and they listed sooooo many things - everything from clothespins etc - what do you think they would appreciate most???

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Hurricane Dean

Check out www.islamujeres.info for up to date (up to the hour!) info on state of affairs. As far as I know things are fine, but last thing I heard ferries not yet back up and running due to stormy weather. Maybe someone on Isla could confirm this?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,040 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hurricane Dean

Ruby - they really appreciated everything we brought . . . using things for many different purposes. We brought clothes . . . at the time, they really needed adult clothes . . . think short/plump people. What the La Gloria school does is they have a big sale - they sell the clothes very cheap, so that everyone can afford them - a two fold purpose - locals help support the school as well as they aren't just getting free handouts. We brought lots of school supplies . . . I even found some bilingual things at Walmart, so they kept some, and then they also split up things to share with the little Yellow Schoolhouse. We also brought toys, which they would give out as a reward for good work. I remember last year, they were asking on the isla forum for people to bring inline skates, as the kids there would share them - one skate for each kid. As well, they always need stuff like copy paper and things like that. The only thing I would caution AGAINST bringing is candy. Lots of Americans like to hand that out to the local kids, but their teeth need preserving, so . . . often, it's best to contact Maggie directly before you come and see what they have a high need of. I hope that helps . . . I really think anything you bring would be appreciated.

So, do you miss the North country??? Already beginning to be more fall like here . . . more yellow leaves every day. I am sure you really understand why we like to visit Isla in the winter!! :)

St. George, Utah
8 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Hurricane Dean

Coalminer - thanks for the info. I will contact Maggie directly and appreciate all of your experience. Don't miss the bitter cold winters - however, remember the fireweed and fall fondly. I miss people the most and still make frequent trips "up." Certainly understand the Isla "thawing" concept!

27. Re: Hurricane Dean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:32 am, August 19, 2009