We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

My wife travels extensively for business and has found that tipping customs vary greatly in different countries. In some countries they even get offended if the tip is too big. What are the tipping customs for Isla Mujeres? On an airport transfer from Cancun to the ferry costing $40, what would be the tip? How much to tip someone for transporting luggage from the ferry to the hotel in a tricycle? How much to tip waiters, etc?

Quintana Roo
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

10 percent is considered a generous tip by many on Isla. It has however come to be expected as inflation is wracking this tourist destination and of late the Europeans and Mexican nationals have settled in and they tend not to tip. My advise is to tip what you want and can!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,599 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Well, maybe others do it differently, but I have found on Isla that a good tip can make or break people's income there. I generally tip exactly how I would at home . . . more or less depending on the service. For the ferry transport, it would depend on how much luggage you had, etc. I would think 10% or perhaps a dollar per bag?? Can't remember exactly what we have paid for that.

For restaurants, we generally tip 15-20% - depending on the service, which is usually great. We also leave a tip for our maid daily . . . I think around 20 peso or so as well as a small gift each day. It's fun to do and they appreciate it.

Oh, and do try to use pesos - it's much easier for all the locals. Have a great trip! :)

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

You gave me the info I needed. Thanks for your help.

louisiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

ditto to what coalminer said

5. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 06, 2009