We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Norte

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
2 posts
Save Topic
Playa Norte

Was on Isla last June (stayed at Avalon.) The deep stretch of sand that IS Playa Norte was essentially gone. The area of beach in front of Na Balam was only about 5 feet. deep

I was first on Isla in the summer of 2000, then again in November of 2000 and once more in May of 2001 and the beach was quite large.

Is this the result of the last hurricane? Or have I lost my mind? Going back in mid-October and sunsets on Playa Norte really are spectacular.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
424 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Norte

As I understand it, it is just nature redecorating at her own will. It is smaller near Avalon, but hugh in front of Sergios. Time changes all.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Norte

much of that beach erosion was from hurricane Wilma. I was down the first of November and the beach area you speak of was pretty much gone, but I have heard that it is slowly returning.

Mother nature will take care of the beach, I've seen it that way before :)

3. Re: Playa Norte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 05, 2009