We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of Isla questions?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
St. Louis (home of...
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of Isla questions?

Hi everyone. My boyfriend and I are staying in Cancun in September but wanted to do the golf cart day on Isla. What are the laws regarding driving the golf carts? What will they pull you over for? Can you drink and drive them or will that land you in jail? I really don't want a run in with the police.

Also, I have read that most places you have to return the cart by 5pm. We would like to stay a little longer to watch the sunset and have a few drinks. Is there a place that you can rent longer or if we do the 24hour rental, will they be there at 8 or 9 or 10 for us to return it? Do the ferry's back to Cancun even run that late?

Thanks in advance for reading/replying. Any other suggestions anyone has to make the day the best, like must see's/ must do's would we greatly welcomed and appreciated. This is the thing we are most excited about. We go to Cancun/ RM once a year and have never had anyone recommend this to us, but now it seems everything we read on here, people do this and it sounds so much fun. Thanks in advance for all the great info I know you guys will give me. Tara

United States
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of Isla questions?

rent a golf cart for the day.

don't drink and drive.

return it by 5pm.

walk to the beach and have drinks and a sunset dinner.

take the ferry back to cancun. the last one leaves late, maybe 11:30pm?

Royal Oak Michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of Isla questions?

We did a day trip while in Cancun last week. It was a real highlight of the vacation. ( I think we'll stay on Isla Mujeres next time we go)

We took a ferry from the hotel zone, the last return was 5:30pm, if you take the ferry from Puerto Juarez , they run later. (might have done that had we know)

People seemed to have beers on the golf carts while driving around but I wouldn't go flaunting it, be descrete and noone seemed to care.

From what I saw all carts were due back at 5pm (or just before) but don't worry the downtown area is with in walking distance of many golf cart places and the ferry dock... so you can return your cart and walk around with plenty to see and do.

We visited the south end of the island and went snorkeling at Casa Garrafon for $4 each... not to be confused with the Garrafon Park which is all inclusive and $45 each.

The north end / Playa Norte has a beautiful beach with many restaurants, try and find Buho's great beach front bar and restaurant... very casual , it was excellent!

I would recommend getting a map from mapchick.com , we did... it was worth the $8

St. Louis (home of...
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of Isla questions?

Thanks guys. I didn't realize the rental places were so close to everything. We don't plan on drinking in the cart but do plan on stopping at a couple of beach bars, just kinda bar hopping around to see what is our favorite, and then finishing up there. I think we will end up loving Isla and wanting to stay there next time also. It just seems so charming and laid back. I have been there on day trips but never really knew about renting a cart and exploring on our own. I really just didn't want to chance not knowing the rules about the carts and getting in trouble. I don't plan on getting sloppy drunk and driving all crazy.

I actually had a golf cart accident this past weekend. We have property on a river and our golf cart died while we were going uphill and then the brake wouldn't work and I had to jump out because it was going downhill towards the creek, and going fast. LOL. I have learned my lesson...I still can barely walk on my knee.

Thanks for your guys/girls info. We will order the map, everyone seems to love them. What is the pirates cemetary? Is it a neat place to see? Any other suggestions are appreciated. Tara

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of Isla questions?

We kept our beers in those insulated things (coozie's?) when on the cart. I never once worried about getting busted for driving with the beer. I didn't flaunt it for alot of reasons, the main one being I didn't want to insult the locals by openly chugging a beer while driving around their hood. We won't drive drunk, even a tricycle.

It seems to me we we got the cart for 24 hours because we wanted it at night and couldn't return it late. I remember a restaurant on Hidalgo that rented carts outside. I saw them doing business later on after dark. A cab ride is easy and inexpensive. Find a place during the day, drop off the cart and take a taxi there. Include Zamas during the day, as you can freshen up there. I think the last ferry leaves around 10 from Isla and around 11 or 12 from Cancun. Not quite sure about the ferry out of Isla.

What about getting an inexpensive room for the night, renting the cart for 24 hours, and getting a chance to know Isla better?

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of Isla questions?

We went to IM for a day trip from Cancun this past February. It was our favorite day and now we plan to stay on the island for a week next year. We rented a golf cart until 5 pm. We did the AI at Garffafon Park which was wonderful- all you can eat, drink, snorkel, kayak, zipline 3 times, swim in the infintiy pool for $55. each ($50 without ziplining). Renting the golf cart was fun especially for the first time, but not really needed since we toured the island and than we were at Garaffon all day. What a wonderful island! Can't wait to go back! (If I had known I probably would have just rented the golf cart for an hour or so, but it was nice not to be rushed and see the whole island too)!

St. Louis (home of...
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of Isla questions?

Tulu,

We actually thought about getting a hotel for the night, but now we have upgraded to the Royal Cancun and I hate to spend all that money for a vacation and then stay somewhere else for the night. I think we will do the taxi thing after we pick our place for dinner/sunset. I was under the impression that the ferry was quite a ways away from everything. I guess I didn't realize how small Isla really was. We are so looking forward to it. Thanks for all your recommendations. Tara

Mpls, MN USA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of Isla questions?

We just returned from 7 days on Isla - never left the island except for the Contoy snorkeling trip. We're not wrold travelers, but it was the best vacation we've ever had. Laid back, nice people, great food and drink. We're 49, 44 and 29.

Use discretion on the golf carts w/ a beer. It's not explicitly outlawed, but who wants to ruin their vacation (or day trip) being a jerk or jerkette? We barhopped, sensibly, all week on the cart with zero problems.

Cesar, a barker/waiter at one of the restaurants on Hidalgo told us "you staying here, you fall asleep in street, polizia take you home". Now, I'm not up for testing it, but he said the law is a bit more laid back than in Cancun since all the locals, owners, and law enforcement know each other. And they know non-incarcerated visitors can spend more money. <-- not an invitation to go nuts. It's totally up to you if you want to test it, but if you're day-tripping I think it'd be risky.

Don't know about the return times, 'cause we stayed there. Had a cart for 6 days, $300 US.

Get the MapChick map!! You have time, and it's invaluable.

Washington, DC
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of Isla questions?

Hello. We're looking into spending a week on Isla Mujeres in late July/early August. We're not into the mega-resort AI experience, and want to support a smaller local economy, so Isla looks good.

Although we want to spend most of the vacation lounging on the beach, are daytrips to the mainland easy to do? I read about Tres Rios recently, and it sounds like fun; we're also interested in seeing some of the ruins. It's our first trip to that part of the world, and I feel like we should see something more than just the island. Thanks!

9. Re: A couple of Isla questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 03, 2009