We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for family of 5 in IM over New Years

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
huntersville, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for family of 5 in IM over New Years

I have a good friend who loves IM and recommended it to me for our family of 5 over our New Years break. Our boys are 11, 9 and 6. We like some activities, but not totally crazy parties.... getting just too old for that!

We would like to have 2BR/2BA are have been researching various hotels. So far we have come up with Nautibeach, Ixchel Beach Hotel, and various homes/condos for private rental.

I guess my main question if we go to a private house or condo is where on the island has the best beaches? Playa Nortex?

We definitely want access to a pool as well as beachfront.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for family of 5 in IM over New Years

We are staying at Ixchel Beach Resort May 30-June 4. All of their units are 2/2 (they can lock off the second bedroom if you only need one) and the penthouses have a huge terrace with a jacuzzi and lounge chairs. It's right on the beach and I have read lately that it is now the best part of the beach. The pool looks really nice, too, and there is a little bar there with Sunset Grill right next door. I have never stayed at Nautibeach, but Ixchel is newer so might be nicer. I got our penthouse suite through VRBO.

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for family of 5 in IM over New Years

Playa Norte is Isla's favorite tourist beach. Good for families because of the shallow water for kids and the many beach bars for parents. You will occasionally see a topless woman, so consider how you will instruct your boys on that subject. Of course, that is not a problem if you rent a private house/condo with its own pool/beach. If you do decide to stay directly on Playa Norte, either Nautibeach or Ixchel Beach Hotel have nice beachfront access to Playa Norte. Sunset Grill restaurant is actually at Nautibeach... so you would have a longer walk to it from Ixchel. Ixchel is newer, but Nautibeach is very well maintained. I believe Nautibeach's pool is a bit larger. My personal preference would be Nautibeach, for the "family" atmosphere and greater feeling of privacy, but either may suit you. New Year's is a very popular time on Isla so book soon. Many properties are already taken.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for family of 5 in IM over New Years

I reccomend a condo and I reccomend you making a choice ASAP.

Enjoy shopping!

kansas city mo
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for family of 5 in IM over New Years

Hi, I've stayed at both Nautibeach and Ixchell. Ixchell is definately nicer and newer. I am assuming that construction is completed at Ixchell and Nautibeach has finished with all their landscaping/pool area improvements by then. If you rent at Nautibeach be sure to see pics of THE condo you are renting. The last one we stayed in was in need of updating, most are very well maintained. Ixchell has a beach bar in front of it that plays very loud music on the weekends untill about 3ish. I would plan on not booking close to the beach and get more of a garden veiw. If you stay at Nautibeach book farther to the west side of the complex and just run your air on those nights.

The Sunset Grill will serve you on the beach in front of either condo or the walk is a matter of a few yards. It is the best beach on Isla. You can't go wrong with either condo.

Hint, we always take clothes our kids have outgrown to donate to The Yellow School House in an extra duffle. Then you can refill it with goodies for the trip home.

Have a wonderful time!

5. Re: Where to stay for family of 5 in IM over New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 01, 2009