We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scooters

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
255 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
scooters

I see that there were some questions about golf carts....they only take cash...approximately $45..only holds 4. Can you rent mopeds/scoooter there? Are they cheaper than the golf cart?

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scooters

You can rent a scooter easily, we saw them all the time. Don't know the cost but sometimes you have to look at the safety and not the money. The roads aren't great and there are big speed bumps everywhere. You wouldn't really want to come off a scooter over there.

For safety reasons alone I would recommend a cart, they're good fun and came with a roof too! keeps the very strong sun off.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scooters

we rented a scooter later in the morning, around 10:30am, and had to return it by 5pm for $20.

the first scooter wouldn't stay running at idle and we refused to use it and demanded another.

the second one worked fine and the 2 of us rode it all day.

watch for speed bumps, potholes and rocks and prepare to get passed alot by other cars/taxis and you will need to be able to pass slower golf carts.

if you've never ridden a motor scooter before, don't make your first time on isla but if you know what you're doing it's a fun form of transportation.

remember to wear your helmet when riding or you can get a ticket and keep you helmet with you when you park and walk away from the scooter.

Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
255 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scooters

Guess I have never rode a scooter before but have rode dirt bikes and street bikes for the last 20 years. So there is a helmet law in Mexico?

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scooters

I think there is but it doesn't look as though it's restricted to real helmets. Quite often saw Mexicans with builders hard hats on.

Serious though mate, you may be experienced and all but for a few extra dollars I'd have the cart. They are slower but a lot more fun....and you won't have to wear an helmet!

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scooters

There is a helmet law and they do enforce it -- found out the hard way in January. I think the rules are enforced differently for locals and for tourists. They were pretty scary. I really thought they were going to take us to jail. If you have riden motocycles, you will be fine. Just be careful and courtious. We rented one with an electric start for $25 pr 24 hr day for 10 days. They refill it for free, just stop by the office.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scooters

there is a helmut law down there and for good reason.

Lots of scooter accidents, they are pretty dangerous unless you are an experienced rider.

7. Re: scooters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 01, 2009