We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rank Your Favorite Restaurants - Close to Playa Norte

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rank Your Favorite Restaurants - Close to Playa Norte

We haven't been to Isla for over three years and have noticed by the posts on this and other boards (mainly Islatraveler.com) that there are A LOT of new restaurants down there. Would love to get input from those of you who have been there in the past year as to what is good and what is not worth wasting a meal on. We are only going to be there for five nights - not nearly enough time to eat everywhere we want to eat!!! We'll do Casa O's for our anniversary and Tacos Campos the first night, Picus as soon as we get off the ferry but other than that we need some help!!! We have enjoyed just about every place we've been - little local places are great as well as anyplace on Hidalgo. We are staying at Ixchel and would like to be able to go to places we can walk to from there (except for Casa O's of course). don't want to have to take taxis every night.

Thank you!

nyc
1 post
Save Reply
21. Re: Rank Your Favorite Restaurants - Close to Playa Norte

i love miguel's. the food is consistently excellent and miguel is a great guy. don't feel like you are intruding on someone's private party there-pull up a chair and join the crowd. that's isla!

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Rank Your Favorite Restaurants - Close to Playa Norte

Beach babe, I just got back from a trip there and we tried a fair few places during our stay. For breakfasts we tended to go to Cafe Cito (on the street before Hidalgo) where we had the granola, fruit and yogurt. The other types of breaklfasts I found to be a farly average although I'm told the waffles are also good here.

We tended to eat in and around the beach for lunch and the Sunset Grill was fine for this although by island standards it was a bit pricey but nothing to make you gulp.

Fredy's was good for fish, it is true that he talks more to his regular guests but it didn't bother us in the least, the service was fine and the food great. For meat dishes the Argentian place on a corner plot on Hidalgo was certainly the best, steaks, fajitas etc. Pizzas, definately go to Rolandis on Hidalgo.

There is also the other end of the island and Rolandis there will provide you with a step up on the dining ladder. The service and food 5 star but bear in mind you will pay 5 star prices. I' also recommend Casa Os. More 4 star but again a step up in quality and service than Centro places, very romantic setting. Take mosquito repellant though, the pasky things get everwhere! You'll need a golf cart to get to these but that part of the fun too.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Cito
Cafe Cito
135 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Sunset Grill
Sunset Grill
397 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Fredy's
Fredy's
297 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Rank Your Favorite Restaurants - Close to Playa Norte

Thanks for the comment about the mosquito repellant - I couldn't remember if they were a problem last time we went. Thank you all for the restaurant recommendations; we leave in 15 days! Can't wait to see how much everything has changed and am really looking forward to laying out on Playa Norte and talking about the next meal. I will post on myisla.com and see what they say, but I can't imagine that I would get better information from them. Thank you all.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,329 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
24. Re: Rank Your Favorite Restaurants - Close to Playa Norte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 01, 2009