We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston...
Level Contributor
153 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

A little late, but there's twice as munch work to do when you return from vacation. Had a great trip. Couple of minor issues but the good far out weighed any bad. Perfect weather, little to no rain. I will post as a reply.

18 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
153 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

Up at 2AM for our 5:30 flight. One connection and we land in Cancun ahead of schedule. No lines in immigration, no checked bags, green light, of we go. Find Canada Transfers, ferry tickets and six cold beers waiting. Perfect so far. Arrive at The Ferry, and wait, no lines about to leave. Just as I’m about to say we’ll have to sit and wait, I see us be waived at to hurry up we can still get you on this boat. Two seats found upstairs and off we go.

Staying at La Vida Dulce, so it’s a short walk. Room is ready, bags unpacked, Bally-Hoo is closed, so off to Jax for lunch. Get a surprise at the bar where we meet Elvis from Mayan Beach Club behind the bar. A few drinks with lunch and we have hit the travel day wall. Back to LVD for a nap. Up at 5PM and rest of the night was spent walking around and some quality time at Bobo’s and Nash’s.

Sunday starts with our Quest to find North Garden. North Garden found and will become our home away from home for the week. It doesn’t get any better! Awesome food and great people. After breakfast it’s off to The Mayan Beach Club where we are immediately greeted by Pablo, Israel, and the rest of the staff. Front row loungers secured for the day, and the rest of our beach days. Service, drinks, and food, always the best at MBC, along with reasonable prices. Dinner was Lion Fish and Sushi at Asia Caribe. Unfortunately, while the food was very good, the service was awful, and the sushi area had major food safety issues. Owner and staff were indifferent to complaints about the service, and the fact that I watched their sushi chef texting on his cell phone and then proceeding to prepare sushi. Dirty phone, raw fish, not a good mix. Rest of the night, Nash’s, Café Mogagua.

Monday starts with a walk to North Garden for another wonderful breakfast. Then of to MBC for another beach day. Yes the weather was fantastic all week. Dinner was at Qubano. Excellent food and service. Next of to El Patio where we had our second, and last bad experience of the week. Let’s just say that at least six tables upstairs, were left unattended, and people were walking out. Nexted, you guessed it, Nash’s and Café Mogagua. Nash and his staff are super friendly and his beer is ice cold. CM is around the corner from LVD and the desserts are great, along with the service.

Tuesday we decided to venture out on foot mid island. With some leftover airline points I booked a room at Casa Ixchel for night. We start out by walking to Barlito’s for breakfast. Just as good as usual. Wanted to say hi and thanks for all their insight to Brad and Tiffany, but they were with others so we didn’t want to interrupt. We then walked back to LVD, packed a bag and headed up the Malecon towards Casa Ixchel. Room was ready, left our bag and headed for Isla Brewery. Did some sampling and got a beer for the road. Hopefully they will soon be able to offer on site consumption soon. Right now you can just drink the samples, anything else must be consumed outside. From there our plan was Villa Bella, then Topaz. Well we never made it to Topaz. Did not want to leave VB. Fantastic, drinks, views, and service. Don Julio 1942, need I say more. Started to head back to CI, and seeing that IB was still open, we stopped in to grab another, and a few for by the pool. Quick change and enjoyed the reverse sunset from the pool at CI. Changed and headed for diner at Caribbean Brisas. Enjoyed the food, music and good service and the company of Molly, a neighborhood well behaved dog. On the way back to CI. We visited the Vet office that houses over 80 stray cats. Made a donation, chatted with staff and played for a while with the cats. Nightcap at Da Luisa. Disappointed in the Margarita as it was made with a sugary syrup. I can’t understand how anyone on the Island tries to get away with this.

Wednesday Da Luisa redeemed itself with a nice breakfast. Took a cab back to LVD and then off to Ciro’s for a cart for cart day. First stop with our cart is always to make a donation and to walk some dogs. It’s then the Beading Lady’s and Punta Sur. One cold one at Acantilado and then off to Zoetry for a Magarita. Quick stop at the Turtle Farm, then time for some music at The Joint. Getting hungry so next stop Mar=Bella. Fantastic! Whole 2/12lb. fish fried, two sides, two beers each, chips and salsa, with tip 1,000 pesos. Belly’s full of to Topaz. Wonderful location and views. Without planning with arrived at Happy Hour. All drinks two for one. Drinks were terrific. Menu looked great. Stay for a while, chatted with one of the owners, then decided to make one more stop, Oscars. Sat at the street bar, had a couple of slices of pizza, and watched the world go by. Took most of the pizza and a couple of garlic knots back to LVD. No place to park so we parked the cart right next to Ciros as we were done with it. Headed to Nash’s and the long day was catching up to us. Went to say good bye to Nash, but he wasn’t hearing it without doing a shot of Tequila with him. Shot down, off to bed.

Thursday was back to our beach routine. NG. for breakfast, and afternoon ceviche today. The off to see Pablo and Israel at MB. Tonight diner was at Olivia. Wow! Great food, drinks and service. I don’t know why people find them expensive? I though it was a great value. Great food, very reasonable prices. The only way I could see it being expensive is if you’re a wine drinker, as there was only a couple of wines available by the glass, most were by the bottle. Where to next, yep, Nash’s then CM.

Friday last full day. NG for breakfast. We returned later in the afternoon to say our good byes to the fantastic owners and staff. Had a few of their best on Island Margaritas. MB for a few hours and to sat our good byes to their wonderful staff. Diner was at La Lomita. Great service, nice meal. Couldn’t get an outside table, very hot inside. My wife had issue with the restroom. From there we walked around, got ice cream, watched some of a basketball game, and yes headed to Nash’s for a final cold one and to say until next time. No CM tonight.

Saturday up early and walked to Malecon to see the sunrise. No, it’s cloudy and just finished raining. The only rain of the week. We walk a bit waiting for CM to open. Breakfast, back to LVD to pick up our bags, and off to the ferry. Uneventful but long flight day home as we connected in Mexico City. Couldn’t pass on the price. One nice thing was flying home knowing that we are returning on April 12th.

I don’t know what kind of a read this has been. First time writing a TR. In an older post I said I would do this so for better or worse, here it is. I would never have visited Isla if it wasn’t for trip reports on TA.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
442 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

Thank you. You did a fine trip report. Now, I have a few new ideas on where to eat when I come in May!

Milford, Michigan
Level Contributor
98 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

Thanks for your report! We are first-timers....will be there in 7 days, staying in the southern end. I'm sure I will be reading your report again and taking notes on where to go to eat! Sounds like you had a great time...eating, relaxing, tequila tasting (Don Julio 1942-WOW)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

Wonderful report. Lots of stops with great food, drinks and sunshine :) My kind of trip. Will be doing this in January .

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

Sounds like a great visit. I am sorry I missed you. April will be here before you know it. Enjoy your holidays.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,134 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

Great trip report, thank you! Love the details :) Sounds like a great trip and makes me want to try North Garden and Topaz. OTOH, the texting on phone while making sushi at Asia Caribe is a total deal breaker for me. Yuck!

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

Great trip report. Where is the Vet office located? We would like to make a donation to the cats. Also, can you tell us about the type of food and prices at North Garden? I love breakfast.

Smyrna, Tennessee
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

Where is North Garden located? Looking at the latest mapchick map and its not on there. Thank you.

Smyrna, Tennessee
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

My bad. I just clicked on the map and found it. Close to everything! Nice review. Can't wait to get there. Only 17 more days!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,712 posts
6,408 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11

Thanks for your trip report about your awesome trip

Reply to: Trip Report 11/4 to 11/11
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted