We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Spokane Valley...
6 posts
Save Topic
Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

Is there an online tool where can I find the current bank exchange rates in IM? So I know whether to get them in IM or bring from my bank.

11 replies to this topic
1. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:25 pm, October 20, 2017
Edited: 2:25 pm, October 20, 2017

Spokane Valley...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

I just posted this question and didn't ask for it to be removed. What am I missing? Just got an email that it was removed at my request.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

It's not you Teresa, it's me. I wrote an answer, wanted to edit it, missed the deadline, so deleted my own post. Now I've got internet issues. Arrrgh!!

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

Oanda is an official currency site. Today peso, MXN, is trading at 18.9

So a bank on Isla is likely to offer about 17.5

They offer a nice printable cheat sheet

Spokane Valley...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

Thanks much everyone. I think I have a clear picture now of where to go.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

www.foreignmoney.com

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

Teresa we do the same as if we were in Spokane as we quite often are. We go to a BANK AFFILIATED ATM at a bank or inside a big grocery store with less chance of tampering and withdraw funds. A bank affiliated ATM's limit will be your personal daily withdrawal limit and not top out at a few hundred dollars like other ATMs. There are three parts to the total cost. The foreign exchange rate, the service fee in Mexico and your banks service fee which may be the same or more for a foreign ATM. I like XE currency exchange to check rates but all services work. It has been my experience that ATM withdrawals will be .5 to .7 less than that theoretical number that no one actually gets. There is a buying and selling cost and that quoted value in between. So today's 18.9 might be 18.4 or 18.2.

In the big picture the cost difference is not that much depending on how many pesos you will use. We pay ALL costs in pesos by choice and the ATM is the best value although some people worry about tampering quite a lot.

Pesos from home, your bank decides the exchange rate which is typically worse than the Mexican ATM but each Mexican bank has their own fees and as above your bank's fee can be more for foreign transactions.

Long story short, the ATM over time has proven to be the best total exchange cost but you don't always know this until you get home and crunch some numbers.

The bonus of pesos from home is that you already have that chore taken care of. You should order a larger number of small denomination notes than you would going elsewhere because many things are very low priced and vendors run out of change with many tourists breaking huge notes for small purchases.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

Which phrase is more commonly used to request smaller bills? Mas pequenas billetes or mas pequenas facturas? I always thought it was billetes but googling it I get facturas. Anyone know what is more commonly used there?

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

I just smile and say “más pequeña por favor” as I hand the teller the $500’s. Works every time.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks

I recommend our family get pesos from their bank at home especially if the exchange is favorable which recently it has been. When exchanging US dollars on the Island, you must have your passport and are limited to the amount per day. Try to go when the bank first opens so you do not need to waste vacation time standing in line. I would not recommend using ATMS. Seven of our visiting family members have had their cards compromised 3 months after they left in the last year. They all live in different states. Credit cards (Visa and MasterCard) are more widely accepted. If you bank does not charge international transaction fees, this is usually your best exchange. Do alert your banks and credit card companies, you will be traveling out of the country.

Reply to: Looking up current exchange rates for IM banks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted