We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thursday, day 15

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,739 posts
93 reviews
Thursday, day 15

Today was a first for us... NO BEACH!

We were awaiting the arrival of our friends from Ontario, both newbies to the Island. It was looking a little unsettled weather-wise and even sprinkled a bit in the morning, so I was a little concerned their first day would be disappointing. It sprinkled as we made our way to the ferry to pick them up, but soon the sun was shining through and the day was hot. Really hot.

Collected our friends and their luggage and got them to the casa, had a cool beer, then they changed and stored their bags until the apartment downstairs was ready for check-in. we asked what they wanted to do today and they really wanted to eat..LOL. They had been up since 1:30am and had not eaten yet (11:30). we decided to take them to our usual first day lunch place, Picus. We ordered two whole fried snapper and shared them, making tacos out of all the fixings. The meal started with complimentary seafood soup. We had one beer and four waters, two fish dinners, soup, tortillas and it worked out to about 9US dollars per person. We sat right next to a fan so we were very comfortable.

Our guests decided they would prefer to wait until Friday to do a beach day so we hopped on the cart ( which is very slow, may have to exchange it today) and went exploring with them. We drove south down Medina, pointing out things of interest along the way. Turned down to sac bajo, to spot blue crabs, then ended up at the tortugranga. Boy, have they spruced that place up since last year, they even have a new "parking lot". Ther were not a huge amount of babies at the moment, but enough for the oooh and awwwe factor to be sure There were also not many nests left outside, maybe a couple of dozen remain to hatch. last year we went in September and the entire hatchery was full of nests. Walked down the pier and were very entertained by the antics of a couple of full grown tortugas, some amberjacks and silly seagulls. There was also a beautiful white crane sitting on one of the pier posts, so nice to see!

From there we headed to the Garrafon Lookout to grab a photo op. The weather was broken cloud so the water was not the windex blue we normally see. We wandered on fairly quickly and made our way to Villa La Bella's bar. We were greeted by Luis, offered cold towels scented with what I thought was orange and my friend thought was lavender. They guys had no opinion..ha. We all ordered their signature margaritas and sat at the swing bar. I love this property so much; I wish I were a B and B type of person, I would stay here in a heartbeat. But I like a little more independence so I think I would go stir crazy. It is stunning, though, and the owners and staff are wonderful.

We met a nice lady, Mary Louise, who has lived on Isla for 25 years, and her cute little dog, Franky. We had a lovely chat and talked about life on Isla, her foster -fail dogs and all things in between. The new slider and empanada menu looks amazing, so we agreed we would come back one day for lunch. Our friends loved the property and have it on their list of places when they come back to Isla. Yup, here four hours and they are already coming back!

Left VLB and toured a bit through the colonias, eventually stopping at Chedraui so they could pick up some wine and breakfast food. we ran into Allison from Isla animals and had a short chat. Headed home via the Caribbean side and airport strip and helped them in with their groceries. They were so charmed by Sonrisa! We left them to freshen up and told them to come on up for a drink when they were ready and we would discuss dinner plans.

Sat and had a drink, asked what they wanted for dinner, and they asked if there anywhere to get a good pork chop.....ummmm, yes, as a matter of fact, we know just the place! We walked down to the very far end of Hidalgo and went to see Fredy. My god, he is so funny and charming. I just love him. Said hi for you, DMartin! I had the fajitas arrecherea which were amazing, and the other three had the famous pork chop. Mine was excellent; very tender and just delicious. The flour tortillas were a nice change from all the corn ones I have been eating.

Our guests loved Hidalgo, thought it was so cute and Kitchy, and much preferred the shop owners there than the ones on Medina. Medina can be a bit overwhelming during the day, that's for sure. We walked past the B-ball court, up pst Casa Sirena, then up Juarez. They are perfectly charmed with this little community and are so amazed by how friendly and warm everybody is and they loved seeing all the children playing on hidalgo and in the zocolo after dark.

We all headed to bed as soon as we got home... not sure what time we will see them tomorrow as they were asleep on their feet at this point! Tomorrow will be a beach day for sure!

8 replies to this topic
Shawnee, Kansas
Level Contributor
124 posts
1. Re: Thursday, day 15

Thanks again for your well written and entraining updates on your trip. Please don't go home, or I may go though withdrawal until I get there on the 31st...

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,739 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: Thursday, day 15

We are here until the 26th, then head to the mainland for a week.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
445 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Thursday, day 15

Thanks for posting. Fredy's was the only restaurant in my mind when you mentioned pork chop. Perhaps in May we will get around to trying one. Fish is always my first choice though.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,739 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Thursday, day 15

me too, but we had already had fish for lunch, so they wanted something different

Fenwick Island, DE
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Thursday, day 15

We may have been in Picus about the same time yesterday. We got there about 12:15 and stayed about an hour and a half. We were sitting at a table down by the water. Had the pulpa ceviche which was delicious.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,739 posts
93 reviews
6. Re: Thursday, day 15

I enjoy all the food at Picus... very fresh and simply prepared.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Thursday, day 15

Never been to Picus yet! Enjoy the trip reports as our trip is still 6 months away! uuugghh!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
574 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Thursday, day 15

I'm so glad to see that VLB is now serving food. We stayed there 6 or 7 years ago and loved it but I didn't like having to leave for lunch and dinner. We always make a stop in for drinks and hello to Curtis and Ashley. I'm sure we will stay there again.

Reply to: Thursday, day 15
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted