We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Insurance

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Medical Insurance

We are planning a three-week trip to Isla next year and will buy travel-medical insurance before we go. Has anyone used Geo-Blue or other foreign-travel policies on Isla or in Cancun? Is it accepted? We are concerned about stories of people held for "ransom" in Mexican hospitals.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Beachin’ Burrito
$, Mexican, American
North Garden
$, Mexican, Caribbean, Contemporary
Xantolo
$$ - $$$, Mexican
9 replies to this topic
North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Insurance

Maybe I've been living under a rock cause I have never heard of anyone ever being held hostage in a Mexican hospital.

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Insurance

I could be wrong and maybe someone who has had to use a hospital can clarify. From what I understand, you have to give the hospital a credit card and then are reimbursed from the travel insurance when you get home.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Insurance

You have to pay up front in Mexico before they will perform the services or guarantee payment with credit cards. It is then your responsibility to be reimbursed by your insurance company. People do not often research medical care where they are traveling to and then are shocked in Mexico, when you have to pay out of pocket for services. Having travel insurance or medical insurance that can airvac you home in case of an emergency is a smart thing to have. Living here, we have encountered several people needing these services all unexpected. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical Insurance

In addition to medical evacuation services, many travel insurance plans include the services of someone who will help co-ordinate your care and direct you to a clinician or hospital that works with the insurer so that you are not stuck with an unreasonable bill. If you travel frequently outside the US, a 12-month policy may be much less costly than buying separate policies for each trip. You can survey the possibilities on web sites, such as Squaremouth, that act as brokers for any number of insurers that offer these plans.

Brainerd, MN
Level Contributor
237 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical Insurance

I had travel insurance when we went to Punta Cana. I ended up going to the clinic. Without all the details my blood hemoglobin was low and required me to fly out the next day. My husband paid the bill with his credit card and we had no idea how much it was. Travel Guard had us on the flight out the next day. They paid for the airfare, hotel doctor and reimbursed us a prorated portion of the balance. When we saw the charge for the clinic it was a whopping $151 USD (I had numerous tests). Unfortunately that isn't the case anymore but we always buy the policy because it would have cost of thousands of dollars to get home.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
USA
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical Insurance

We have used insuremytrip.com to find policies. But read the fine print before you buy a Policy. Their terms differ and the cheapest one is not always the best one.

chicago
Level Contributor
673 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical Insurance

My Husband has been to the new Hospital on Isla 2 years ago it was excellent experience for him. He was grazed by a bats claws ( ON Halloween... LOL) on our balcony. I cleaned it poured some tequila on it. He went in got tetnus shot, antibiotics and a good cleaning for like $27 US Dollars. Prob could of been reinbursed but didnt bother with Insurance.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical Insurance

People shouldn't be "shocked" that they actually have to pay for medical care in a foreign country, that's the way it usually is. NOthing unusual about that at all in any country, that people without local insurance plans have to actually pay the bill. What else are they expecting? It woiuld be the same thign in the US for foreigners. Although no one can be held hostage, of course, in a hospital in the US (I wonder if that is true in Mexico, also--which implies they tie or chain you up and you can't leave). Try smashing up a car in Mexico without insurance and see what happens, you can end up in jail.

I'd also read various policy's fine print to see about exceptions, some big companies do "work" with some other country's hospitals, but I wouldn't count on it in some smaller places nor Mexico. I know some BCBS plans actually have networks in a few foreign countries, also.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Illinois
Level Contributor
430 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical Insurance

I have used GeoBlue in the past but have never had to use it. If you read there policy careful, it will act as primary insurance if you go to one of there "network" facilities. For example, one of the hospitals in Cozumel in one of their providers. That facility should take the insurance without any upfront payment by you. There will probably have to be telephone calls or faxes from Geo Blue to the facility.

I have had an issue with GEOBlue in the past and the folks on the phone were fabulous to deal with.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Reply to: Medical Insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted