We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topless beach in isla Mujeres

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Topless beach in isla Mujeres

Is there a good beach for topless sunbathing in Isla Mujeres? We've been to North Beach and I was the only one who did and was not comfortable with the crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
38 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
882 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

The short answer is no. Probably no one will stop you but it is not widely done on Isla. From what I understand, the locals are all very conservative in that regard - a cultural thing I think? This is by no means an opinion on nude sunbathing; just reporting what I've learned.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,001 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

As you experienced, it's not a usual thing on the beaches. You'll see one here and there but for the most part there's very little topless sunbathing. Your best option is a private house rental with a pool and/or sun deck.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

When in Rome and all that. In my experience Mexico is conservative regarding nudity and I am a firm believer in following local norms and on Isla the locals are very present. Its probably best to do it in a private setting...

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

Normally see one or two topless on each trip and that is it. Not a common thing anymore.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

There are a lot of private houses and villa on the beach that you can rent. It is not a norm on Isla or Cancun. You do see a little more in Playa and the Tulum area.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

This is always a hot topic. I see more ta tas breast feeding in Chedraui, on scooters, in my neighborhood and on the ferry than I do on the beach. No one is shy about feeding their babies. And most locals don't even notice the topless sunbathers on the beach. When my son is with visiting friends (they are tweens), it is the mothers and sons who are all weirded out about the topless sunbathers. My son having grown up here doesn't think twice about a topless sunbather or our neighbor breast feeding. Do what you feel comfortable with but be aware that tourists like to take pictures at the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Chedraui
Chedraui
45 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

Oh the picture thing. I heard a story about a man who talked his wife into going topless saying that she would never see these people again. A year later she got a new job. On the bosses desk was a photo of her boss and his wife. She recognized the resort. Guess who was far off in the background barely noticeable and topless?!

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

LMAO Darlene! What a great story line, whether it is true or not. Kinda like that episode from Seinfeld, where Jerry, George and Elaine were trying to steal the picture out of her bosses' office....... hilarious.

¡Diviértanse!

chicago
Level Contributor
667 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

I have seen it a few times on recent trips and even have seen topless woman walking around on the beach. I go topless ALL the time many feet out on Playa Norte, floating on noodles but am respectful if chillden and or others are near by. I feel no one can see me. Although last Nov a Droan Hovered over me.. LOL

Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,674 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
chicago
Level Contributor
667 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Topless beach in isla Mujeres

Laughed Out Loud at your post Darlene66 !!

Reply to: Topless beach in isla Mujeres
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted