We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy is it in November??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
How busy is it in November??

Looking to do a week or so on isla mujeres for the end of December, renting an Airbnb.. not a fan of huge crowds. I've been to Holbox and Tulum

18 replies to this topic
Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy is it in November??

November or December?? Your title says one, your post the other.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy is it in November??

And the "end of December" is very very high season. From about a week (or so) before Christmas through the end of March and then into Semana Santa / Easter is "high season"; after Easter the crowds drop off significantly for about 6 weeks, picking up again around Memorial Day and then into the summer.

Now if the OP is really asking about November, early November is "shoulder season" and the crowds will be significantly less than say late November (Thanksgiving) and mid/late December onward. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy is it in November??

Sorry I meant November

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy is it in November??

The "end of November" is 'high season', around Thanksgiving. Then it quickly drops back into shoulder season for a couple of weeks in early December..... and then high season until after Easter. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy is it in November??

Thanks so much :)

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy is it in November??

I don't find the end of November to be high season, even during Thanksgiving. It is still quite quiet on the island until just before Christmas. We go every year from mid-November into the first week of December, and it is nice and quiet the entire time. Our first November trip was in 2006, and we felt like we were the only ones on the island. Since then, it has of course gotten a little busier, but there are still no crowds at all. The weather can be a little tricky year to year, but with the lack of crowds it is a great time to go.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,323 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How busy is it in November??

piggybacking onto this thread...

We will be there November 23-December 5.....so nicely after US Thanksgiving which is Nov. 23. When you say this is 'shoulder season'...what exactly does this mean for Isla in terms of visitors? Line-ups at restaurants, crowded streets, or almost empty? We are staying at Nautibeach.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,323 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How busy is it in November??

cross posted....thanks Leo, that's helpful!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
358 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How busy is it in November??

I always go the week after Thanksgiving into the first week of December. It's my favorite time to go. Less crowds before the hectic Christmas holiday. They put the Christmas Tree up in the municipal square during that time too,

United States
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How busy is it in November??

We're going on Thanksgiving Day for 6 nights. When do they put up the tree, and is it an event that people go see?

Reply to: How busy is it in November??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted