We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

Please help if you know the situation with Garrafon Park. If it is open is it worth the $$ or should we just do swim with Dolphins?

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

Pretty sure I read recently that it is still closed, check the msg board or ask on myislamujeres.com.

You can snorkel for about US$4 pp at the place next door, Hotel Garrafon de Castillo, same waters, they also rent gear if you do not have your own, have a bar, cold showers and clean bathrooms, and limited food menu.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

It was certainly open 2 weeks ago when i was there.

Albeit we went to the garafon hotel next door as the previous replier mentioned -- it cost 40 pesos, + 60 pesos to hire Snorkelling equipment.

The El garafon was very quiet though, not many people at all from what we could see. We saw a few people going down the zip line whilst we snorkelled.

Had a pleasant afternoon lunch at the small restaurant over the road which was very good value --- but mind the mosquitoes! use the reppelent they provide at each table!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

We went to Garrafon Park last year, it was expensive but worth every penny. The Park is gorgeous. There were different "packages" available, they try to sell you the most expexsive one, but they do have others available. We payed the extra money for the biggest package and it included everything at the park. They had a lunch buffet (which included alcoholic beverages) which was more than we expected. The snorkeling was beautiful, My dad relaxed in the beautiful infinity pool overlooking the ocean. They had hammocks and chairs. The zipline was fun. We all tried it, even my 63 yr old dad. All in all we had an amazing day. I would recommend it if you plan on taking advantage of all they have to offer. I snorkeled over to the Hotel next door. It definately was no where near as luxourious as Garrafon. It was very basic with plastic tables and chairs. If you are on a budget it looks like a great alternative. We skipped the dolphin park. For 6 of us it was just way to expensive.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

Garrafon par IS open and is only offereing an All Inclusive admssion now.

It's a beautiful park, and I hear the food is pretty good, but I have not personally visited the park since it's re-opening.

www.garrafon.com

Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

Does anybody who has recently been here have any pictures? Is paying for the package the only way you can enjoy the zip lines?

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

Yes! It is open and DEFINATELY worth it! We were there last week and had a wonderful time. The only thing I regret is not going back for 1 more day! For $55.00 per person from 10 am- 5pm you get all you can eat, drink, snorkel, kayak, zipline ($5.00 less if you do not do the zipline) and enjoy the park and I think that gets you admission to the Dolphin area too but we didn't go (extra charge to swim with the dophins though). The drinks were great, food was excellent- snacks open at 11 or 11:30 am and a lunch buffet starting around noon, I snorkeled and ziplined for the first time which was wondeful. My husband and friend saw a sting ray and barcuda (I didn't venture out that far). The infinity pool was great. I'm not sure if you can just do the zipline, but I would definately ask. This was a day trip for us from Cancun and next time I want to stay on IM!

Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

So how does this Zipline thing actually work? How do you stop?

Indianapolis, IN
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

Totally worth it. Do it towards the end of your trip. Buffet, unlimited drinks, great activities for 50 bucks!! Totally worth it!!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

While you zipline, you have a break in your right hand that you hold loosely until the guy on the other side gives you a signal (arm pumping up and down) and you pull down the brake as hard as you can and then grab a rope with your left hand. They will come out and get you if you don't grab the rope in time. You also watch a safety/informational video before you go. Very easy to understand. FUN to!

10. Re: El Garrafon closed or open? Worth it or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 27, 2009