We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thievery amongst resorts

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
nashville, tn
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
thievery amongst resorts

I'm reading disturbing messages about some of the resorts. It seems that people are having items (cash, clothing, mp3 players...) taken from their rooms. The most recent posts were concerning the Iberostar and the Reef Resort. Is the hotel-provided safe not good enough anymore? What's going on here? Do I need to put a lock on my suitcase (seriously) and bring an extra lock-box? Can strangers get into the room safe? I've also read posts where people claim to have had their rooms entered while they were gone, though nothing was taken, and it wasn't the maid service. Yikes.

Palancar Reef
Geologic Formations, Reefs
Santa Rosa Wall
Columbia Reef
El Paso del Cedral Reef
nashville, tn
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: thievery amongst resorts

Okay, maybe I do have something to worry about. But we will just use caution by locking everything in the safe at all times and keeping our eyes peeled in general. That is total BS that these hotels will not hold their employees responsible or at least check into the matter. It's just turning into a free-for-all. It halfway makes me not want to give ANY of them my business but I want to go to Coz too badly for that (never been but going in 10 months)

12. Re: thievery amongst resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:14 pm, April 06, 2005
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: thievery amongst resorts

If you don't want your valuables stolen:

Use the room safe, its big enough for camera, passports, cash, jewelry.

Leave expensive jewelry at home.

Don't leave valuables laying on your beach chair. Not even in locked beach bags, a thief will just take the bag.

Cut tags off of new clothes in your suitcase.(tip from Oprah)

If it's valuable, it should be In the room safe, or on your person.