We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need Cozumel tips (hotels, restaurants, beaches)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arkansas
3 posts
Save Topic
need Cozumel tips (hotels, restaurants, beaches)

My boyfriend and I are planning to go to Cozumel for 5-7 days (depending on the deal we can find) for the last week in July. We are having a hard time deciding if we want to do AI or not. Though I love the idea off all the Margarita's I can drink, I also like to try new places and I fear wasting $ on AI and the food be horrible. Another issue we are having is finding a reasonably priced hotel with a decent beach that we can walk on/walk into the ocean (as opposed to the dive resorts where you just get in at 5 ft +). Does anyone have any suggestions as to hotels/beaches and restaurants? Are the restaurants reasonably priced?

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: need Cozumel tips (hotels, restaurants, beaches)

I'm a diver so I really can't help you with the hotels. I stay at Scuba Club.

My absolute favorite place to eat on the Island in Primas. You need to get there pretty early because the later you go, there will will a long wait. The food is excellent, sevice is excellent, and the prices are very reasonable.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,197 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need Cozumel tips (hotels, restaurants, beaches)

Wish I could help with hotels but really can't since I am there often but stay with Mexican friends. I have stayed several times at El Presidente and , in my opinion, the best on the island.

I would never go with an AI since part of the fun is sampling the many excellent restaurants in all price ranges. Many reasonably priced restaurants as well as a fine newcomer, Mesa17.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: need Cozumel tips (hotels, restaurants, beaches)

we stayed at a hotel in town and loved it. granted, we only had an ocean view and not access for a couple of blocks, but we were so close to so many resturants, including those off the beaten path. i would totally recommend suites colonial, very clean, cheap, nice. we were considering ai, but decided against it since we had heard there was such great food in coz. it was true! and being in town, we rented bikes and biked to the ruins and beach for a mere 10 bucks for a day, and even a cab to the beaches is not too much. you can walk to beach access easily from town as well, not to a beach club, but to strips of beaches where the locals snorkel and swim. we were on a budget and found that eating out and staying in town we ended up paying less than an ai where we would be tied to for eating!

PRT
Glen Mills, PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need Cozumel tips (hotels, restaurants, beaches)

We stayed at AI twice and loved it for the convience. Food was pretty good. Not as bad as some say. But then again as long as someone else cooks-it tastes fine to me. A word of caution. Do not rent fram Executive Car Rental. My husband and I did-took the extra insurance then got in a fender bender and the rental Co. would not honor the insurance said it is good only if you totaled the cars. We,of course, refused to pay the $4000.000 they were claiming for damages and guess what- the handcuffed my husband and were carting him off to jail beore I relented and signed over $4000.00 to them. Ruined the whole vacation. Will never go back. So just be careful. There are lots of nice people but also lots who will rip off the Americans.

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need Cozumel tips (hotels, restaurants, beaches)

I published a review of the occidental grand recently.... you can search it by clicking on my trip advisor handle. I have pictures of the grand beach if you would like. Send me an email to dimecius@yahoo . com (remove spaces) if interested. It is an AI but food was good i had no complaints (It is not 5* by american standards but is not bad by any means!).

On the island restaurants range from expensive (in tourist areas) to very reasonable... depends on where you go. Also cabfare to some might get $ from the Grand.

Dawson Creek, BC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: need Cozumel tips (hotels, restaurants, beaches)

Hi, we stayed at the Allegro(AI) when we were there. I had checked out this sight and others before we went, and was told it has the best beach in Coz. Well guess what they were RIGHT!!!! Their beach is awesome. It is large with lots of white sand and swimming is good. We walked down to the sister hotel the Grand Occidental and it's beach is not near as nice, although the resort is newer and some say better, so I guess you have to figure out what is important. We loved the Allegro and had a renovated room. The rooms are small, but we didn't mind as we were hardly in them. They have 2 al a carte restaurants, plus the buffett one. The food is not bad, with some great treats mixed in, like the omlette bar and the smoothie bar..Yum, yum. To get to town was a $17.00 cab ride each way. We also rented a jeep for the day and it was $80.00 a day, with insurance. It was from across the street and they were awesome. Wherever you stay, be sure to rent a vehicle and go to the east side of the island. It is breathtaking. There are little bars and restaurants along the way, which are a lot of fun. Have a great holiday.