We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel weather in January

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
minnesota
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel weather in January

Can you tell us what kind of weather to expect early January?

Any clothing suggestions? We are trying to figure out what to pack. Also, what will diving/snorkling be like during this time? Is this usually rainy or sunshine? And average temps. thanks for your help...

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel weather in January

Hey Nordic Fam, I am in the same boat as you. By the way, "Hola" from Duluth. My wife and I will be at the Allegro Jan. 7-14 so I am watching the weather tightly. I go to weather.com and check and it seems lately there's been some rain. I pray and hope that's not the case when we're going. When are you folks heading there? As far as clothing, we are packing the "usual" shorts, tees, that's about it. I think I am going to bring one "dressier" pair of pants and a polo. Other than that, I plan on spending alot of time in the water (beach, not pool) or at the bar. :) Take it easy

Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel weather in January

Was there last year the first week of January and will be there again this year the second week of January. Shorts and tshirts during the day for sure. Once the sun goes down, you may or may not want a light jacket and longer pants. We've been lucky...3 trips in the past year and not a day of rain yet.

chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel weather in January

Nordicfamily.....i will be there staying at the allegro the 7th to the 14th as well im pretty sure...(ihavent booked yet but am in a couple days) im just reading the message boards, pos and neg of the resort....... ive been b4 diving ect but not fishing in cozumel.....maybe we could get together and get a fishing trip cheaper for all 4 of us....ill be with my gf.....im a sesoned traveler and found this is always the best option to split stuff ect........thank you....

chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel weather in January

samdooby this offer goes for you as well....:)

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel weather in January

For me January is just beautiful. Low humidity (for the island), low 80's day's, mid 70's night, no bugs, beautiful nights with all the doors and windows open. Still very warm, out in the sun. Just totally sweet. There can (and will be) winter storms called Nortes, which come mostly in the form of wind, with some rain mixed in. Norte's can close the diving for a couple of days. It's just bad luck if you hit a week with a storm. Every month has a few bad days.

I came to the island for almost 15 years before I moved here about 14 years ago. When I was a tourist I never hit a bad week. Until I moved here I never thought there was ever any bad weather in January. So don't worry about it. It will probably be beautiful.

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel weather in January

Hery Nikski, I might be up for that. My wife gets sea sick so the lan-lover will probably park herself by the playa and sip cervezas all day. I on the other hand, was in the Coast Guard for 4 yrs and I am a seasoned water veteran. I was thinking of going on a fishing excursion. That sounds good. And yes, it is much cheaper to split the bill. What days were you thinking?

chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel weather in January

my girl will wanna go most likely, she can sip xx on the boat :) anyday, i wanted to get some diving in maybe, rent a car 2 c the isla, plus its $35 bucks to town and back so i'll c how many times i get to town, ive been to cozumel before but not actually stayed on the island, so im still looking at the resorts and reading message boards ect......i can stay at allegro for a lil over $900 with taxes, thats cheap......i still havent booked it yet, looking at jamaica as well, prolly gonna go to the allegro tho it seems......i jsut dont like the resort is so far from the town, i always think the worst tho and im sure its not as bad as it seems. also the weather says rain but, im sure the rain is for a few minutes not the whole time so the weather is going to be great im sure......anyway we will figure it out :)

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel weather in January

Samdooby.....were you ever in the coast guard in Duluth or were you stationed somewhere else? How long ago? we will also be in Coz part of the time you are there.

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel weather in January

Hey MNSnow, funny you ask and yes, I was stationed here (Duluth) I am originally from CA so here was a bit of a change. I was also stationed in Petaluma, CA and I went to boot camp in Cape May, NJ. I got out of the CG in 2003 and now I am finishing my Nursing Degree here. After here we are off to Hawaii and then back to Northern or Central CA. We are scouting some land there and our dream is to open a kennel. :)

But before all that, we are going to Cozumel and we are going to have a good time. ;)

E. Texas
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel weather in January

We went to Jamaica a year ago because of Wilma. Worry free gave us our money back, any questions? We were spoiled by Cozumel and will never go back to Jamaica.

We stayed at the RIU in Ocho Rios. Was a bad Idea.

We love Cozumel.