We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Napanee, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

My family is considering a 4 family gathering to Cozumel this December 2015 for my parent's 50th anniversary. A lot of us LOVE to snorkel, and seek out places for travel where we can snorkel directly from a beach without having to sign up for expensive excursions each time someone wants to snorkel. (for example we loved Roatan) The hotel my parents are considering, I have been notified is sand bottom, where the reef is not a swimmable distance (FRUSTRATING!!!!)

I was wondering if maybe we rented a car, would there be any beach that we could bring a family to where we could access a good reef area, directly from a beach, without getting into a boat? Our kids ages range from 6 to 21.

Thanks for any information on good beach snorkelling areas, if they exist.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

The reefs aren't within swimming distance from shore...and even if they were it would dangerous to do because of all the boat traffic. The exception would be Punta Sur Park but it's a looong swim. However there is lots of very nice shore snorkeling on the island, particularly from hotels on the north end.

Muscatine, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

We love shore snorkeling on Coz. Good stuff from Money Bar, Playa Corona (keep a running tally of the bill), Buccanos, Sky Reef, Punta Sur (make sure you're a good swimmer, it takes awhile to get out to the reef).

Mentioned in this post
Buccanos at Night
Buccanos at Night
668 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

You didn't say where you're staying but I'm guessing south of town. I would suggest Dzul Ha, or as the new owner calls it, the Money Bar. Great snorkeling right in front and a decent restaurant. We've been there many times. story: a long time ago the snorkel tour guys were trying to get us to go with them from at the downtown ferry terminal. We didn't and rented a car instead and the first place we stopped was Dzul Ha. an hour later the SAME boats pulled up in front of us and dumped 20+ people off in the water. we laughed.

Napanee, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

Thanks for that info....that darn boat traffic can be scary. Sounds like renting a car may not be a bad idea.

Will have to check out the Money Bar area if we end up going. The resort my parents are considering is called the Occidental.

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

Napanee; if you really want to say you've been to Cozumel and you are there for more than a day, I'd highly recommend renting a car. For one thing, the Occidental is a long way from town. That way you can do the snorkeling you mention as well as seeing the east (wild side) of the island. Don't miss Punta Sur Park. they are open from 9-4 every day but Sunday and it's a trip.

btw; I'd sure recommend Isis rentadora for a car,

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
537 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

Would you consider renting a large private villa instead of hotel? If so, many of us could give you options especially on the north end where we recently jumped in and snorkeled right from the villa. However no beach.

Napanee, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

Believe me, I would much prefer to rent a villa and have been suggesting this option since the beginning, but my parents and sisters are set on the idea of an all inclusive where everything is included and they don' t have to cook. My own immediate family tends to prefer renting our own spaces at more interesting and intimate locations. As this is my parent's anniversary, we are going along with what they are wishing. The 7 kids will probably prefer being around other kids anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

I suggest doing at least one boat-based snorkeling trip. I doubt that any shore-based snorkeling compares to that over a shallow reef.

Here is one close by option.

Playa Palancar (website is not working for me now)

Mentioned in this post
Playa Palancar
Playa Palancar
1,129 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

I 2nd the idea of the snorkel boat from PP. It's about 90 minutes to 2 reefs and costs $35. No need for reservations. You know when I snorkeled Money Bar in November I was disappointed.

Muscatine, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there any GREAT snorkelling from a beach in Cozumel?

At the risk of sounding like a renegade, I've never been that impressed with Palancar. We've done the boat trip a few times. It's nice, but I really like being able to walk or plop into the water. If you take your time, there are some amazing things to discover at MB and the other places north and south.

The Pearl Farm tour is also a blast.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel Pearl Farm
Cozumel Pearl Farm
245 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico