We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Tulum

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Westminster...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
One day in Tulum

We will be going to Tulum for a day and would like suggestion's, do we rent a car in Playa, take a taxi, or hire a service for the day? We like to go the back way in along the beach and stop for lunch, dose anyone know of a good taxi/guide to take us? How much will it cost? Thank you

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Tulum

You could grab a collectivo in playa for about $3 each to get you Tulum.... then cab it from there.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Tulum

Cars are cheap enough to rent in playa and you can do what you want when you want without wasting valuable time waiting for shuttles and cabs.

Edited: 7:33 pm, April 29, 2015
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Tulum

We just did this earlier this month. We caught the 7am ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, went to the ISIS car rental location at the Hotel Tucan in Playa and drove ourselves down to Tulum. I did a little research before. There were options like the ADO bus or a taxi that others will recommend as well. I think your choice will depend upon how many of you there are and how flexible you want your schedule to be. For my family of 4 it made more sense to spend around $50 to rent a car for the day vs $40+ one way for the bus or probably way more than that to take taxi ride for an hour to Tulum. The collectivos sounded like a good deal but for my family of 4 i wanted the reliability of having the car at hand. We had a lot more fun being on our own schedule and having the car at our disposal. We went to ruins at Tulum in the morning (there is a beach there to enjoy if you want), drove just a little south to the town of Tulum for lunch, then stopped and snorkeled at a cenote (dos ojos) that afternoon on our way back. Got back to Playa around 4, returned the car, relaxed, caught the 6pm ferry, then had dinner back in Cozumel.

4. Re: One day in Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 30, 2016