We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Life Insurance & Travel to Cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Life Insurance & Travel to Cozumel

Hi all!

Not a fun question about the island, but one that I wanted to know. Does anyone have experience with applying for Term Life Insurance and their rates increasing based on travel to Cozumel? I know that the companies base their rates on travel abroad, and that the country of Mexico is on the US Travel Warning list, but Quintana Roo is specifically listed as having 'no advisory.'

Just wondering if anyone has had this experience of their rates increasing due to travel to Cozumel?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,574 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Life Insurance & Travel to Cozumel

I've never heard of occasional travel anywhere affecting anyone's life insurance premiums. Rather, such things are based upon one's age, health and occupation at the time the policy is purchased. "Occupation" would clearly come into play if you travelled to dangerous or war torn countries on a regular basis as a member of the armed forces, for instance.

You might want to check your life insurance policy fine print with respect to "high risk" activities death resulting from those may not be covered - e.g. sky diving, scuba diving, motor racing, etc.

The insurance you do need to check on is travel MEDICAL insurance - you want to be sure that you're covered in the case of accident or illness when you're away from home.

There's also travel/trip insurance which covers vacation type things such as lost luggage, cancelled flights etc.

Edited: 4:43 pm, April 21, 2015
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Life Insurance & Travel to Cozumel

look into DAN travel insurance

3. Re: Life Insurance & Travel to Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:31 am, April 23, 2015
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Life Insurance & Travel to Cozumel

Guys- he is not asking about travel insurance, he's asking if traveling to Coz will affect term life policy rates.

I just applied for a new term policy and was not asked about travel habits.

They did ask if I was a diver and if so number of dives I completed, dives per year, depths, etc.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Life Insurance & Travel to Cozumel

Thank you all for your responses... SevenCostanza, I am also curious about their diving inquiry. We dive only once a year and never go below 60 feet depth. I read here: https:/… that for light diving like this, the rates do not go up but maybe $2 a month.

If you don't mind sharing, were they able to give you an indication about how much diving had an impact on your Term Life Insurance Rate?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Life Insurance & Travel to Cozumel

Foreign travel is asked on nearly every life insurance application (with limited exception). Travel to hazardous areas absolutely can affect your rate or cause an outright decline of coverage. However, Cozumel is not one of those areas. You will be fine.

Routine vacation diving to 50-100 feet (depending on insurer) is no problem. Night, wreck, or cave dives, deeper depths, or very frequent diving might have an affect on rates. The typical recreational diver will have no problem with most insurance companies. PM me if you have specific questions.

7. Re: Life Insurance & Travel to Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 23, 2016