We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fort Wainwright...
Level Contributor
44 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

Hello

I'm bringing my 10 year old son and my boyfriend to Mexico for their first diving adventure. I know the diving is better in Cozumel but i really like the looks of IM. Can you stay in IM and dive in Cozumel or would i be better off staying and diving in Cozumel and then staying a few nights in IM?

Are their any whale shark dive options? I've only seen snorkeling options.

Also any recomendations on hotels or apartment rentals good for children would be great! As well as any dive shop recomendations.

THanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,096 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

I just replied in your other post. What are you looking for in a hotel?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

Hi Amber. Has your son had any dive training? Has your boyfriend? Are they looking to "try out" diving? If yes, then you should pick a resort with a good in-house "resort course" dive operation.

Agree....staying on Isla and diving on Cozumel is nearly impossible. The morning dive trips leave about 8:00 AM. Just making the trip from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel is enough of a hassle. Coming from Isla would be a mess. IMHO

If your family isn't certified to dive, I would stay on Isla and try a simple resort course there to see if they like it. Then do the snorkeling with whale sharks if your timing is right.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

I did dive with people a few times who were staying in Cancun. They took the bus then the ferry. Plenty of dive ops in Cozumel that would leave a little later and wait for you. If you left early enough you can be at the Caleta by 9am easy, It can be done so saying it is impossible is just not true but a hassle if you ask me.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,096 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

900 AM at the caleta is questionable.

That means taking the 800 AM ferry from Playa.

To make that I would take the 600 AM ADO bus from downtown Cancun. It lists an 80 minute travel time.

There is a 620 AM bus but that is cutting it close.

The first ferry from Isla Mujeres is 530 AM. If the transit time is 30 minutes, you won't make the 600 AM ADO bus and you will be rushing to make the 620 AM bus.

Yes it is technically possible if you want to stress over making two connections.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
645 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

I would say the problem (especially if you dive there more than 1 day) is paying for transport to and from IM and CZM. Plus the time involved...not fun. Spend a few nights on one island and a few on the other...

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

Are their any whale shark dive options? I've only seen snorkeling options.

Only snorkling

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

Alan: "so saying it is impossible is just not true"

I didn't say impossible, I said NEARLY impossible.....and as Co-Pilot so aptly points out.... THAT is a very true statement.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,096 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

The 20 minute interval at two places might work. You only need one second pad to make it. I have gone from the Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen by ADO bus...making the bus by ten minutes or so. Then walk to the ferry and have five to ten minutes before it left. But in each case, I was not under s time constraint.

Miss one bus...wait for the next.

Miss a ferry...sit and look at the beach and water and relax. Another ferry will leave soon enough.

But it does look like 2.5 hours each way once you get on the Isla Mujeres ferry. I did not tally the cost because the five hours roundtrip just does not make sense when you can stay on Cozumel for several days....then go to Isla Mujeres...or the other way around.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ado
Ado
645 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,096 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

I counted poorly. 3.5 hours transit time.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving in Cozumel staying in Isla Mujeres?

Nearly impossible...that sums it up quite nicely. Of course, no one has figured in the wear and tear on your brain, or you stomach, if the ferry is rough that day, or if one of those connections isnt met in a timely manner. As CP said, and the OP asked, probably best to visit each place separately...just too much hassle getting from IM to Coz, on a schedule.