We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is driving safe in Cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Liverpool , England
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
is driving safe in Cozumel

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Cozumel on Oct 4th for 2 weeks, I was looking to hire a car for a couple of days . I have sinced been advised driving isn't safe there. Also my holiday company ( FirstChoice) advised they don't do car hire for that reason.

Can anyone help

Cheers Michael from Liverpool, UK

LA
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

Drivers are aggressive, signage is poor, stop/yield signs are often missing, roads are in poor condition, downtown is clogged with taxis, scooters and pedestrians, downtown parking is almost non-existent and you are at the mercy of the local corrupt police. I notice you're from across the pond so driving on the right will be another issue to deal with.

If you do decide to rent, get FULL insurance, visit the east side and do not drink and drive.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

This is a hard one to answer in your case. Firstly you will need to adapt to driving on the opposite of the road and also maybe to having the shifter in the wrong hand. Secondly from what I have seen driving in London looks a lot like driving in San Miguel, very busy all the time.

The majority of the island is no problem to drive, but in town I far prefer to walk. I normally park near the south end of town, by the municipal buildings, and walk. This allows me to be a tourist, not knowing the traffic patterns, and not having to watch for road signs amongst all the other things to look at.

The big thing you need to know is that you MUST buy full insurance, Mexico doesn't recognize out of country insurance, and you will be jailed until any claims are paid should you be involved in an accident. That by itself is a big reason to walk in town, as you will easily see once there. (at times you will really wonder if there are rules for driving in Cozumel).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,266 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

Good advice from cicopo. You will be fine in a car, if you use common sense. And , as far as dealing with corrupt police on Cozumel, I doubt you will ever have a problem with that!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

It is doable. You need to understand the rules of the road (typically east-west traffic stops at every block). If you are staying up north or south you can drive around with minimal time in town. Just be cautious on the main drag and don't expect to find a parking spot.

A good rental company is Rentadora Isis (email may be rentadoraisis@prodigy.net.mx)

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

The website for Isis is

http://www.islacozumel.net/services/isis/

:-)

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

About as safe as Queens Drive on a Saturday afternoon after a Derby match and the pubs have let out.

Me and my boyfriend (representing Wavertree and Tuebrook) will be there from 14 to 20 October, so we will cross. Where are you staying? What is FirstChoice like?

You'll be fine, if you're careful. Drive slowly and, joking aside, don't drink and drive.

But don't forget, there are loads of taxis and they're not that expensive, certainly as compared to back home.

Maria

College Station...
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

If you want to rent a car to make the circle of the island and see the east side for a day, that makes sense. All the previously mentioned caveats still apply. But taxis are plentiful and relatively inexpensive, dirt cheap in and around San Miguel. You didn't ask, but I strongly advise against moped rental, unless you really like living on the edge. On a number of flights I've taken back to the States have been people sporting casts on their arms and legs from moped mishaps. Three New Years ago a poor fellow from a group at my hotel crashed his 1st nite there - what with his concussion, broken collar, and nasty lacerations, he missed all of his dives.

Liverpool , England
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

Thanks for all the info and advice everyone it is realy helpful.

BECOZ - My girlfriend and I are staying at the Iberostar from the 4th to the 18th Oct , where are you staying

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

Are the jeep rental prices quoted generally inclusive of insurance, or is that a nasty surprise on top ? (Like in the States)

E. Texas
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is driving safe in Cozumel

Take the cabs if at all possible. get american dollars before leaving. they only take dollars and pesos. We drive in Dallas everyday so Cozumel is a walk in the park. Just go slow and watch every one around you. Wrecks are rare. The police in Cozumel are serious about crime, Which is why there is none, so they don't bother with drivers unless you are drunk. If you are only wanting to see the other side of the island for a few hours it is best to get a cab and save the trouble. Talk directly to the cab drivers downtown and you will get the best deal. but talk to several and get the best deal.

If you do rent, get a small air conditioned car, not a jeep. they are easier to drive and the ac will pay for itself. We did last week and thanked the stars above they were out of jeeps. That little bugger went through downtown traffic with no problems whatsoever and we stayed cool.

Have a ball, enjoy yourself, and don't take the time share tours. They are sham and they lie like politicians.

If you are going snorkeling bring your own fins and mask/snorkel.

you will be glad you did. snorkeling off the beach in front of most hotels is awesome..