We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Tom,

I wanted to find out who you recommend for fishing? Also where can we go near the Coral Princess to stock our room with some snacks (Fruit and crackers) and alcohol?

Joe

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Joe

I suggest Sergio Sandoval of Aquaitc Sports. He has been our dive opeator for over 5 years and he also runs a very good fishing operation. He won't take you out if the fish are not bitting though. He wants his customers to be happy and does not want to paint a rosy picture if no fish are being caught. Best season is spring. Sedena, the military grocery store is the nearest to coral P. It is right at the corner of the airport road and melgar, where you make the turn to go north towards the hotels.

saludos

tom

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Tom,

Thanks again. I e-mailed Sergio. I hope he can take 7 on the boat, site says 6. Otherwise someone is going to be left on the dock.

Joe

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Tom:

How does he know if the fish are biting or not, from land? Often fish are biting in one place (around the south tip) and not in another (across on the mainland) or vice-versa. Sometimes several boats get skunked, and the same day one or two boats will do very well. Different fishing areas, different equipment, different crews, will produce different results, on different days. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I was very surprised at your post saying he won't go out if the fish aren't biting. Don't know any charters here that operate like that, and can't understand how anyone can know if/when/where/how fish are biting.

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Tom,

Contacted Sergio and it looks like a go. He says we need to meet hoim at Marina Caleta and I can not find that on any map. I see some pictures, but not the location. How far is this from Coral Princess and the Ferry Pier?

Joe

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Marina Caleta is the south harbor. It's located after the southern cruise ship piers, next to El Presidente Hotel. A taxi will charge you 10 dollars from Coral Princess, just tell them Caleta, and they will know. Make sure to ask which side of Caleta to go to, it's a pretty large harbor and there's many, many boats there, he should tell you if it's to the right or left of the entrance.

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Antonio,

Muchas Gracias.

Joe

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Antonio

You are welcome to talk with Sergio yourself and maybe he can explain. Direct your email to sergio@ecozu.com or call 87 20640. There are a lot of operators who will go out and say yes, the fishing is great even though this is not the case. They want to sell a trip. He has told me that he would rather have happy clients than take a boat out and not have any success. Fishing is seasonal on the island. The best period is in the Spring.

Tom

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Tom:

If you and your charter only take people out in the peak season, that is of course your choice. Sure, in the Spring there are so many fish, that everyone will do good. The true test is fishing when the fishing is a little slow, and a good charter company will make every effort to get into some action, whenever the client is here, and wants to go, regardless of the time of year. Experienced anglers know that not everyday is a catching day, it's all about fishing, this implies being well equipped, and going out there and making every effort. As an example I'd like to offer this review of our boat, during the fall, when according to you is not a good time to go fishing. Just copy/paste link into browser: travelnotes.cc/reviews/view_treport.php…

Now I have to wonder if you have a client in October walk into your business with money in hand wanting to go fishing, do you turn him away and say no, come back in the Spring? I would find this hard to believe.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flamingo Tom, Who do you recommend?

Antonio

If you want to direct your comments and questions to Sergio or myself, that is fine. But I do not feel this forum is the place to be going back and forth on this issue anymore at this point.

Saludos

tom@hotelflamingo.com