We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Fiesta Americana really open?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Syracuse
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is Fiesta Americana really open?

Cant quite understand if FA is really open, the pictures online look like fake ones. I loved the old building not sure I would feel as relaxed in the new modern one.. locals weigh in please!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,851 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

It is not open. And have not really seen a firm date on the opening. The online pictures are fake ones.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

Those online pics are an artiist's rendering of what it is GOING TO look like. I was by there last month and the place was still in shambles. Lots of rock piles, equipment scattered around, and it didnt seem like a lot of work happening, but Im no construction guy. Im guessing months away from opening, if not sometime next year.

oz
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

went past it last week by boat it's very modern looking , a lot of white. I don't think it will be "open " soon and if they do open it , plan on hearing construction noise if you stay there.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

I was helping someone look at options for an august trip and was shocked to see it presented as an option on orbitz.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,318 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

My suggestion: Do not reserve a room there until it is open and reviews start coming in.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,851 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

It will likely have a ¨soft opening¨, which usually means construction is still going on. That bothers some and not others. Of course, it might bother you less if they give you a super cheap deal for the soft opening.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

FYI - I steered them away asap... nobody needs to be their guinea pig in a 1/2 open resort.

Rockford, Michigan
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

The Fiesta Americana website states "they will be under maintenance" until July 15. Originally was supposed to open May 15.

I was disappointed there isn't "Mexican charm" with the new look of the resort. When I viewed room options it appears some of them will offer private plunge pools. I could be wrong but it seems like the resort will have more of an upscale/modern vibe.

michigan
Level Contributor
508 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

just came back last Friday and the place is still a shambles, spoke to construction guy and he told me Oct at the earliest

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,851 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Fiesta Americana really open?

Not really surprised at delays and problems. This hotel is operated by one of Mexico´s largest hospitality companies, Grupo Posadas, with a recent history of financial problems. For some time, they had the Cozumel hotel up for sale and apparently decided on renovating it. The company continues having problems and I recently read they are again trying to sell their largest Cancun hotel.