We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel ais with kids

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel ais with kids

We are a family of 4 looking at coz for Christmas or New Years 2014. 3 of us dive (two adults and our 13 year old), 1 of us will be 7. Kids club is a must. We like nice resorts for a balance of diving and the resort itself (including evening activities). Any suggestions? Cheers!

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel ais with kids

I suggest one of the three AI resorts on the South End of the island, they are all popular with divers. They are closest to the best dive sites which is a big plus and each has a dock and a on site dive shop. The three resorts are the Allegro, Occidental Grand and the Iberostar are all good in their own ways. The Allegro is the oldest and usually very reasonably priced and has a large kids splash pool. The Grand is newer, more up scale, usually a little older clientele and probably the nicest. Iberostar is somewhere in between. All three have kids clubs. Evening activities usually involve a show of some kind that is usually over about 10:PM. Take a Look at those three.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel ais with kids

Thanks Paul - we have stayed at the Iberostar in Jamaica and the Iberostar Paraiso Maya - my husband took a dive excursion from Paraiso Maya to the Iberostar Cozumel, but really didn't go beyond the dive shop.

Have you stayed at any of these resorts for a comparison?

Cheers Too Cold.

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel ais with kids

Too Cold; Yes I have stayed at the Allegro 7-8 times over the last 12 years and I have stayed at the Iberostar once a few years ago. I have never stayed at the Grand but I have taken the time share sales tour. The Allegro and the Grand are about 200-300 yards apart and are both owned by Occidental Hotels and have many similarities. The Allegro is an older property and a lot of people like it, but it is a little dated and there are occasional problems, usually things like Air Conds that don't or Hot Water that isn't. They usually have things fixed quickly. Usually the Allegro has the best prices and tries to be family friendly. The Grand is a step or two up and generally caters to a little older crowd. The Allegro and the Grand share what is probably the nicest resort beach on the island. The food seems to be pretty similar at these two resorts since they are owned by the same operator. I warn you I am easy to please and find little to complain about. The Iberostar is about 300-400 yards south of the Grand. The Iberostar is probably a little above the Allegro but not as nice as the Grand. The Iberostar has no real beach, but is Iron Shore (very rocky) and you need to enter the water wearing water shoes or via a ladder off the dock.

You can research all Cozumel Hotels on this site and read lots and lots of reviews for all of them. Take most reviews with a grain a salt. It is amazing how much some people like to complain and to exaggerate the problems. I have a review of the Allegro from last summer and it is probably linked to my user name. I really tried to be honest and objective in my review. Just do some research and remember you are in Mexico and things are going to be a little different.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel ais with kids

FWIW, there is little different between Iberostar and Allegro. Same type of rooms and layout. The Allegro does have family rooms (the rooms are quite small) and a water park. Also a swim up bar (if that's important to you). Allegro is usually cheaper than Iberostar too.

The Grand is "nicer" but not necessarily better. Same food as at Allegro, but the rooms are MUCH bigger. Nice bathrooms.

5. Re: Cozumel ais with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 16, 2015