We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ann Arbor Mi
Level Contributor
103 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned

Just returned from my first trip to Cozumel in about five years. Previously we had gone about five times in the previous 10 years. What I noticed on this most recent trip was an increased police visibility at major intersections an increased visibility of machine guns. Was wondering if this is a relatively new occurrence or if I just had not noticed in the past. As always we had a wonderful time on the island and felt very safe everywhere.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned

I personally see the difference between and officer with a side arm or a rifle. They've been in Cozumel for as long as I can remember. Keep in mind, MX law is a bit different from US law. Our military doesn't usually get involved in law enforcement except via the National Guard in the event of an emergency. (I'm generalizing.) In MX, the rules for the military are different.

I think the USA is one of the few places where law enforcement doesn't carry rifles. When I fly into Canada, many of the officers in the airport carry rifles or sub machine pistols.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned

I have been going to Mexico since the late 90's and have always remembered seeing machine guns with some police or with the military. Mark is right many countries police forces carry these types of weapons on them. When I flew into Frankfurt Germany about 15 years ago, one of the first people I saw after deplaning was a military member with a rifle.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,599 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned

I have been seeing the same weapons, in general, for the past 30 years. As Mark says, it can be more noticeable because the military has a big presence with bases in Cozumel and they assist in patrolling and law enforcement on the island.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned

We are of course very safe in cozumel but you must remember there is a serious problem with violence all over the country and even within a hundred miles away from cozumel. With the bases in cozumel the military presence is really just normal. The island is for the most part a base.

5. Re: Just returned

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 02, 2015