We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

I have never looked for coffee in stores in any of my visits to Cozumel and have never drank coffee until the last 6 months. We are staying in a condo so won't have it available to us unless we go and buy. Just curious if there are some coffees that you feel are ones not to miss and ones I need to stay clear of. Since condo has a coffee maker, I want to use it as much as possible.

TIA

North Carolina
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

We go to Starbucks. They have a Mexican shade grown that we like. Not terribly adventurous but always reliable.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

I have lived on Cozumel for quite a few years now and have tried many different brands of Coffee that I ended throwing most of the package in the garbage. The only coffee I use now is Los Portales de Córdoba. It is readily available in most grocery stores, Mega for sure. It is reasonably priced not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,381 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

Good advice from David. I am using Portales now. Good coffee at a good price. Much better than an inflated Starbucks price, in my opinion.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

I buy the stuff from Mega too. I have enjoyed it. If you want to get a little fancier buy the whole beans & let the coffe shop person grind for you

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

Many years ago the only coffee we could buy at Chedraui was not good at all but, happily, the selection has improved. We tried one last year called Tazza that was very good. Finding items in Chedraui used to be like a scavenger hunt. We were on the lookout for coffee filters a few years ago and looked in all the most obvious places (like next to the coffee section) and there were none to be found. Finally found them in the appliance section next to the coffee makers. I like to stop at Starbucks while I'm on the island but read somewhere recently that the Starbucks will be closing. Is this true?

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

Los Portales is my regular supermarket brand, too. Very good Mexican coffee but better are fresh beans from Chiapas!! haha

Starbucks reversed its decision to close. It's still open.

Edited: 6:37 am, January 24, 2014
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

There are a couple of good brands we buy at Mega. We always bring a couple of bags back with us to drink.

However, unless your place has a coffee grinder, make sure the coffee you buy is ground. They will sell identical brands of coffee that is ground and unground next to each other. "Molida" means ground.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,381 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

Actually, I usually drink coffee I buy at my favorite coffee cafe in San Cristobal, Chiapas. But need to make a trip there soon to restock.

The selection has improved. Many years ago when I first came, you could find little more than Nescafe instant.

Strangely enough for a country producing much good coffee, many Mexicans drank a Coke for breakfast. Something many still do.

I have bought a bag of Andatti, the house brand of the OXXO chain, which is a not bad Mexican blend, in my opinion.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

Oh trust me, if I could still drink Cokes, I so would. I didn't start drinking coffee til last year after April. I had lapband surgery and can't have cokes anymore and I have to drink something warm to basically open me up so I can eat...if that makes sense. I am a crazy one, I like a new food find I can bring home every year...looks like it will be coffee this year ;)

Thank you all for your help, greatly appreciated.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When not staying at an AI, where do you buy your coffee?

I love my coffee, but I find the Mexican brands I've tried is a little to acidy for me. When I travel I bring 2 lbs with me. I pack each coffee pound in it's own zip lock bag. Never had a problem. Once, the air pressure "popped open" the coffee. Luckily, the zip lock bag kept it all contained. I normally leave the left overs for the maid.