We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Topic
Duty Free

Is there a duty free shop at Cozumel Airport?

Is it accessible to arriving passengers as it is in Cancun?

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free

Nope. The only duty free is for departures.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free

I know you guys are taxed heavily in Canada, but the duty free in Cozumel isn't much cheaper than what you can buy in the grocery stores on the island when it comes to alcohol. The buy 2 get three bottles are OK when it comes to tequila, but for the most part, it's hardly worth getting excited about.

Best places to easily buy booze on the island are Mega, Chedraui, Covi and the new deli wine place next to Mega called (I think) Europa or something like that. My guess is Mega will drop their prices to compete against Europa and shut them out.

Most duty free places require you to present your ticket indicating you are leaving the country, so that option is covered pretty tightly.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free

That actually is my experience, Mark. The prices in the duty free are NOT great; Mega and Chedraui are best for any souvenirs like hot sauce, vanilla, and booze. In April I found an outsized bottle of Jose Cuervo for a very resonable price...and then it turns out it was on sale for 20% off. Sold!

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free

The entire state of Quintana Roo is duty-free...

Prices are lower in local shops (Aki has a pretty decent booze selection compared to the old San Francisco and quite good prices) than at the airport "duty-free" shop.

The airport shops are more expensive than my local liquor store in New Hampshire, which in turn is more expensive than local grocery stores.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free

Thanks a bunch. I will use the local merchants.

6. Re: Duty Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 13, 2014