We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana or Cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wasaga Beach
8 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana or Cozumel

We have been visiting Punt Cana for the last 12 years (often 2 times per year), This year we want a change and are thinking Cozumel. Are the beaches as beautiful there as in PC, and is this a good change.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

Punta Cana has much better beaches, probably more attractions there as well. I like Coz for the DIVING, I didnt dive in P.C., was told it was an all day excursion just to get to the better sites. I like them both, but for very different reasons. Id say Coz is more laid back, if thats what you're after. Thats what keeps us coming back.

The majority of Coz is ironshore, except for some resorts on the southern part, and a couple north of town. The ironshore is what keeps the water more clear, the lack of sand in the water, which is what a diver is looking for. Cozumel's reef system offers world-class diving. Hope this helps, ENJOY!

Edited: 6:49 pm, September 16, 2013
Wasaga Beach
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

Love the feedback, not a diver but willing to give Cozumel a try. Thanks

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

I have also been to Punta Cana on a few occasions, the beaches are beautiful, but I would say that Cozumel has a lot more to do than PC. There are so many things to do on the island and with the option of travelling to the mainland, the possibilities are limitless. I'm not a diver, so I see the area with a different prospective and I now live here several months a year and I'm never bored.l..good luck with your decision.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

Hi Keakii,

We've been pretty big fans of Punta Cana and have been there a number of times over the years including the last 2 years and were looking to return this spring. The pricing seems to really have gone up this year and we lost our direct flights, so took that as a sign to try a new destination spring 2014.

We are going with Cozumel for spring 2014. We have been to Cozumel twice before on day trips but this will be our first week vacation there - really looking forward to it.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited: 7:31 pm, September 16, 2013
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

I think the three big differences you should expect are 1) no big 'grand' style AIs on cozumel - expect smaller more intimate surroundings 2) you can safely explore cozumel and not feel the need to have to stay 'on resort' and 3) beaches will not be as nice as PC.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

Well said, SC. I might add, in Coz we go to town and feel perfectly safe. I'm not even sure if PC has a town square setting, like San Miguel? The only time we left the resort, in PC, was with a tour, which I highly recommend. We traveled up into the mountains, visited a coffee plantation, school, and then went to the beach, all with a driver, who catered to us, very reasonably priced IMO. We wouldnt have done this on our own. In Coz, we explore the island, visit the East Side hangouts, all by rental car, on our own, with no quams at all about safety. Well, you still have to be on your game re: driving, its a little different driving in the Caribbean...wait....no, its a LOT different! LOL

Edited: 10:04 am, September 17, 2013
usa
Level Contributor
346 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

dont go to cozumel, go to playa del carmen which is better imo than punta cana in most ways

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

Have to agree with all the advice here--other than the go to Playa del Carmen. PC and Cozumel both have their strong points.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

isla passion and punta sur are world class beautiful beaches..just not as prevalent as PC

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
911 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana or Cozumel

We have been to Punta Cana and Playa as well. Cozumel, hands down.