We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Cozumel in Aug. Worth the risk of hurricanes?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
So. Cal
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Cozumel in Aug. Worth the risk of hurricanes?

I'm thinking of tranveling to Cozumel in August. I'm worried about Hurricans and wonder if people have traveled during that time. Is it worth the risk?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Cozumel in Aug. Worth the risk of hurricanes?

Only Mother Nature knows. We did it in 2004 and were fine. So....whatever that means to you. I'd have no trouble planning it again for that time frame, but since my trip was affected by Wilma last year, I'd definitely buy trip insurance so I could get out of it any time I wanted.

Mark

Zionsville, Indiana
Level Contributor
147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Cozumel in Aug. Worth the risk of hurricanes?

If you're worried, make sure to buy trip insurance and be willing to take the risk that your vacation could possibly be cancelled... but that goes for anywhere in the Caribbean/Florida during hurricane season... you never know but hopefully after 2 last year the island will be spared this year... you know odds and all.

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Cozumel in Aug. Worth the risk of hurricanes?

The chance of the island taking another hit from a hurricane is slim. We were very unlucky last year, but that doesn't mean that we will have more problems this year. Prior to Emily, the last hurricane to hit the island was Roxanne in the late fall of '95 and befor that it was Gilberto and Keith in '88. None of these hurricanes struck in the month of August.

AUSTIN
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Cozumel in Aug. Worth the risk of hurricanes?

True but you don't want to be ther when even a tropical storm comes, its misserable, honestly if the weather is bad so will your vacation, the sun and sea is why you go. Before Wilma there was Emily and if memory serves there was a weak one befor e we came around the first of June last year. Many of these lesser ones start out around the area and make for rain, no one can predict the fuure more than seven days or so, maybe you could wait and by in right before you go, our friends bought in on Funjet and went with us and they didn't buy in til like three dasy before, lower your risk that way. It is a risk and trip insurance may not cover it, not sure we never bought it..

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Cozumel in Aug. Worth the risk of hurricanes?

So you are saying it's not a good idea to come during the hurricane season, from June through November? I disagree with that. We have many, many more days of bad weather in Jan through March than we do during hurricane season.

6. Re: Traveling to Cozumel in Aug. Worth the risk of hurricanes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:35 am, August 14, 2009