We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best all inclusive for teens

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London Ontario
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best all inclusive for teens

Never been to Cozumel. Our family has been to Cancun 5 times and PDC 2 times. We would like to try Cozumel this time and need help. We are experienced in all inclusives and know to take the bad reviews with a grain of salt (you can't please everyone). We are currently looking at Iberostar, El Coz, Sunscape Sabor and Allergro. We are looking for a clean resort, fairly new rooms with decent food. My husband and boys (17 and 15) are VERY picky eaters and need burgers, pizza, steak, pasta. Need a good/decent beach with LOTS of activites to keep the boys happy and busy. We don't scuba, but like to snorkel. The boys like all sports and would like to meet more teens to hang out with- we like to relax in the sun by the pool and have a few drinks. We like to socialize and meet new people from around the world. Also would like a resort that doesn't shut down by 10, although we don't need to party until 2am. Suggestions???

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

"doesnt shut down by 10" - for the most part Cozumel is much quieter than either cancun or pdc, and most resorts don't have that much going on past 10. there are clubs in town, etc. - but your boys aren't old enough for that yet. You might honestly be happier back at cancun or PDC...

It also depends on what time of year you go as to how crowded it will be with other teens / people from abroad. We were there in march and it was mostly americans / canadians and a few families from South America. In July the resort was about 1/2 spanish speaking people from mexico, venezuala, brazil, etc.

With that being said:

You said very picky eaters - that to me rules out El Coz. I wouldn't touch the food at their 'snack bar' where the burgers are. And their nightlife definitely is not what you are looking for - unless 3 movies nights a week is your thing. Never been to Allegro so cant comment personally, but the reports make me think the food might be lacking for you as well.

Keep in mind a 'decent beach' usually equates to poor snorkeling, though hear its ok at iberostar. Iberostar and Allegro. They are both very far south of town if that's a consideration.

Park Royal is very good with activities throughout the day, though the 17 yo might think some of them are a little corny. Food is pretty good - made to order burgers - though the pizza is gross. Close enough to town to go eat off site if you want... knock there would be not much of a beach.

You will likely have to find a happy medium - not sure this is a perfect spot for what you want on Coz.

Edited: 9:10 am, August 20, 2013
Ontario
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

What time of year do you want to go?

I think you'd probably find the food fine at any of the hotels you listed--at least at the Allegro there's lots of "American" food (fries, burgers, hot dogs, nachos, salads)

Of the hotels you listed Allegro has the best beach, but the snorkeling isn't great. Snorkeling would be better at Iberostar or Sabor, but the beaches themselves aren't as nice (thus the better snorkeling)

You might want to think about the El Coz. It's the closest to town, just in case anyone is truly bored/hungry.

London Ontario
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

Thanks for your quick replies. We are looking at going around the 2nd week of January. Being close to town doesn't really matter to us. We will probably take a cab in 1-2 x's and do some sort of 1/2 day tour one day. Other than that we will probably be at the resort and try to get some snorkelling in at least 3-4 times. The boys would like to rent a Jet-ski one day too.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

You can rent a jet ski at El Coz (at least you could a couple years ago). Not sure about the others. You could snorkel anytime you want at El Coz too - pretty good snorkeling... I still think you would be disappointed by the food and night life there however.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

Well, if you stay on the south, you can walk to the beach clubs to rent jetskis. Nachi Cocom has them (next to Allegro) and I think Alberto's does too (between Grand and Iberostar)

toronto
Level Contributor
776 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

The Iberostar had lots of teens and twenty somethings when we were there and definately lots of people of all ages up well past midnight but we were there over New Years so I expect that is not the norm. The beach was nice but entry into the water is ironshore and it is difficult to throw a frisbee around in the water if that is your boys' thing. We are generally huge beach people but surprisingly this was one of our best family trips. There were lots of sports and activities and the staff here were the best I have seen at getting people involved. Food was typical AI, easy to find what you mention. We actually had fairly decent steak at the staekhouse but seems it to be hit and miss from other reviews. I can't remember jet skis, I don't believe they had them at Albertos - I'm sure I would remember the sound driving me nuts!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

My teen enjoyed herself at the Occidental Grand...... fantastic beach, activities to keep her busy, great food. Couldn't ask for more really.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

Another thing to consider: are you guys wanting one room or two? The rooms at Iberostar and Allegro are small--my kids are younger and we still opt for the family room option (two connecting rooms) Nice big rooms at the Grand, and I believe El Coz.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

Another thing to consider - be sure to price two rooms versus one - many of the AIs seem to charge by person, not by room. I know when we were at PR in July, I priced two rooms vs one room and there was no difference (so we obviously booked two rooms, which was a godsend with two teenage daughters).

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best all inclusive for teens

^^That's really good to know, SevenCostanza. We ran into a misunderstanding about the family rooms on our last (and probably LAST) Allegro visit. We'll be staying at the Flamingo next time, so we're just paying for two rooms, but as it's not AI, it makes sense.