We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
131 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

Planning a week break in September , we have tried IB. and had major disappointments with the food ( I thought we weren't fussy ,we just like fresh food) we are considering OG. But have seen so a many reviewers commenting about the lack of air conditioning. We aren't looking for "meat locker" cold but don't want to be siting in enclosed dining rooms or our rooms with no air circulation. Any feed back appreciated. Also if anyone has experience about how busy Dressel is in late September that would also be appreciated. There were a little too many groups going to the same location for us in June.

I know OG food probably won't be much different. I'm a realist, just looking for feedback on the other issues.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

I've been to the OG 4 times with a trip coming up on Aug 3.

I have trip reports for each trip:

rhodesaz.com/Cozumel%20April%202012/trip%20r…

rhodesaz.com/Cozumel%20July%202012/July%2020…

rhodesaz.com/cozumel%20Sep%202012/…202012.htm

rhodesaz.com/Cosumel%20Nov%202012/cozumel%20…

Dive Palacar is the local dive shop. I've dived with them every time.

I've always though the AC in the rooms was great.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

Just remember sept. is slow season. I go in sept and have had friends stay at the OG and they say some of the restaurants were not open do to slow season. If you all want to enjoy town it is a $20 cab ride each way or rent a car. I know I enjoy town a lot . Have you looked at the palace. It is in town and walking distance to everything. 30 days to go for me. enjoy

I just want people to know what to expect in sept. it is very slow and very hot, but I love it..4

OG is right next to the reefs. It is a very short boat ride and I believe they do their surface int. on their beach. I don't mind a long boat ride, but that is me.

Edited: 6:55 am, August 01, 2013
phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

OKDIVEROKC is correct. They do the SI on the beach. Also, they go out 4 times a day 9, 10:30, 1 & 3:30.

I've done the long, long boat rides from town with the two tanks. Not for me. Great for others!

Last September they did close a couple of the Specialty restaurants. But to make up for it, everything was off the menus of the Specialty restaurants served at the beach restaurant. Really nice!!

Several of the buildings were closed for renovations, but I never heard any construction noise.

I'm from Arizona so the 90 degree heat will be a cool down for us. Of course, the humidity is higher.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

Thanks for the replies guys , we stayed next door at Iberostar and we know all about the location and also know how things are slower in off season , that's not a concern actually a plus. I have just been reading reviews on OG.

My concerns are the cooling system in the restaurants and rooms . Also was wondering how busy dive Palancar might be. I would like to use them for convenience but would rather not be diving with more than one group per boat. Again thanks.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

In the last 2 years that I have been diving with DP, there has never been more then 8 in a group. Normally 6.

If there is more then that on the boat, they have always had two DM's and dropped off each group apart from each other.

So, there may be 12 divers (and 2 DM's) on the boat, but they separate us into two groups.

Breakfast and dinner is normally served in the main dinning building and it has AC.

Lunch is served at the beach building. It is open air but there are fans above and there is almost always a breeze.

I forgot to mention, DP also has a concierge service at the dive shop. They work for tips only, but they will rinse, store, dry your gear. Plus they will have it out and ready for your next dive. All for tips only!! I normally tip at the end of the week.

They do have lockers (you supply the lock) but they were pretty crappy lockers last year.

http://www.rhodesaz.com/Cozumel%20April%202012/dive%20shop%20(14).JPG

You can forgo this option if you wish.

Highland, Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

Just returned from a visit to the Occidental Grand last month. We love the Grand but with regards to the air conditioning in the buffet dining area where breakfast and dinner are served it is non existant. Breakfast seemed to be the worst. About half way through the meal it would be unbearable. Lunch is served in an open air area on the beach and a steady breeze makes it nice. The food is not bad. There was a group of us the traveled together and we had no complaints. Hope this was helpful.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

Remember, buffet food is, well, buffet food at the IB or the Grand or in your hometown. Don't go in expecting 5 star quality food and you will be fine.

Nashville
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

Will be at og 8-30 to 9-4 -- cant wait! Stayed there last year same time and it was wonderful!

Nashville
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

Wonderful place last year for same time trip -- 8/30 to 9/4! When will you be there?

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Occidental grand. Anyone stayed recently?

As of July 2013, management finally fixed the AC in the buffet.

I was there 8-3 to 8-10 and the AC in the buffet was great. I took with me a thermometer and it showed 80 degrees in the buffet (la Posada).

I was told by staff members that the general manager for the OG (Sr. Jose Maria Figuereo) refused to break the budget by getting the AC fixed. Several things at the OG needs to be replaced or fixed but Figuereo refuses to get them fixed. I hope somebody in Spain (owners) takes notice and removes this general manager.

I love the OG and will be back next year, but I believe the mistakes of the general manager in 2013 will drop the OG down one star.