We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you judge people from other parts of the country?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do you judge people from other parts of the country?

I was just reading one of the latest reviews on Secrets Aura and found a comment that perturbed me. "The guests mostly come from CO, OK, TX and are not the most sophisticated bunch. The guests who have been coming to this Aura for years were a rough party bunch"

What is the deal with judging people by what part of the country they are from? We overheard this SEVERAL times in conversation while at the resort as well, comments like, "OOOHHHHH, well we are from California and we just don't understand anything about Midwesterners. We can't relate." Sure, is it possible the groups from OK, TX, CO weren't very classy? Absolutely!! But does that have anything to do with the state they are from...uh, no.

Are people so sheltered and ignorant that they are able to determine they dislike the population of an entire area of the country or an entire group of people by state??

We are from Missouri, which often gets its own stereotypes, and very unfairly so. Part of what we enjoy so much about vacation is meeting new people who are from different places, have different experiences, stories and accents. On our trip, we met people from all over- from Denver, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Nashville, New Zealand, all over Oklahoma, New York, LA, Onatrio, etc.

Just don't get it, so maybe someone can help shed some light on this for me.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Do you judge people from other parts of the country?

I love to meet new people on vacation. I find if you just get to know them , don't judge by the first few minutes of meeting them , they can end up to be pretty cool. I have been on a lot of sailing and boating trips ( not cruises) and when your on a boat with people for a few hours you get to know them. I personally don't care where your from , how much you make or any of that crud. I mostly talk about cozumel with them , asking how long they been coming to the island and such. You can get great tips from people , also you can exchange tips. My first trip to mexico was a gift from my boss, I had never been to mexico. They told me everything was paid for no need to tip because it was all inclusive. I found out from another guest that you really should tip (and I did) so by talking to another guest I learned something. A lot of people feel that they "know it all " and get offended when someone tells them different. Some people get offended when others act like they would never . We are human we all have our own mind and we all enjoy our vacations "our way" if you don't like the people you are around seek new one's move along.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
52. Re: Do you judge people from other parts of the country?

For sure you don't want to be with a bunch of Frenchmen.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Do you judge people from other parts of the country?

I am from Liverpool, in the north of England, and we are not held in high esteem by many parts of the country. The recent "revelations" regarding the Hillsborough tragedy speak volumes about the instititionalized nature of the "we are better than them" attitude prevalent in the country of my birth.

Unfortunately, that attitude seems to be universal and some people/peoples seem to be able to feel good about themselves only by belittling or applying negative stereotypes to others. That says more about them than those they scorn.

I have lived in France, Switzerland, the Soviet Union, Spain, Yugoslavia, and now the US. I work for the United Nations. Unfortunate stereotypes and superior attitudes are the one common denominator. I studied Russian during the Cold War and, linguistically, the rhetoric of both sides was identical, yet was seen by the other as adversarial.

We all do it, whether we want to admit it or not. Much of popular humour is based on poking fun at people. Our language is full of loaded terms, such as "rednecks", "trailer trash". Horrible labels.

We should just remember that when we feel the need to say such things out loud, even if it is to get a cheap laugh from our friends, we are the ones are small minded and should be ashamed.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Do you judge people from other parts of the country?

Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who YOU are.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Do you judge people from other parts of the country?

Well put jot

56. Re: Do you judge people from other parts of the country?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 10, 2014