We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In the rain... what to do?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shawnee, Kansas
Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
In the rain... what to do?

We are looking for indoor things to do. We arrived sunday June 2 to rain. It is now Tuesday and it has not really stopped and is not predicted to for a couple of days. We are staying downtown on waterfront watching rain from our patio and the main road, Melegar keeps turning into a river. Scuba boats are still going out, sure wish I could scuba this trip. We did chocolate factory yesterday and museum and tequila tour. Hum, what to do today? Any ideas? Btw, we also drank and ate... A LOT!!

okc
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In the rain... what to do?

Luckily i left sunday and only got the start of the rain. We had a little rain last week and still went diving. Actually cloudy day dives were really good. But you said no diving. Go down to WW or woody;s on the square and get to know your neighbors.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In the rain... what to do?

Is that the sun trying to break through the clouds??

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In the rain... what to do?

We sit on our deck and read, read, read. Rock n Java has a great library for trading English language vacation books. Sometimes we go to the movies at Cineapolis. Great movies, in English, at cheap prices. We play cards. We shop. At least it is warm and the view is great. Sorry you're having such crummy weather. If it helps, its not much better here at home. Lots of rain everywhere.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In the rain... what to do?

We sit on our deck and listen to XM radio and snooze on the chaise lounges. It's a good time to go snorkeling as well.

A number of the larger beach bars have large palapas you can hang out under and stay dry. These include Punta Morena, Playa Mia, Mr. Sancho's etc.

An upstairs open air bar is always good, too.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In the rain... what to do?

Build a raft, looks like it's gonna be a gully washer:

…weather.com/looper/…

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In the rain... what to do?

Playa Calletita (spelling), they have a covered area and so does Money Bar. If there isn't any lightening I would still snorkel.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,635 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In the rain... what to do?

Check mainland weather and if better, go to Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, or Coba. Ik Kil cenote near C. Itza is nice.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In the rain... what to do?

I'm with Sawyersdad - if the rain isn't heavy - I would still do everything I normally do - snorkel snorkel snorkel - just put more things in plastic bags like cameras and wallets and clean clothes. I figure I'm gonna get wet anyway. Live in my bathing suit most days I am there.

When it's really rainy - movies is good.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In the rain... what to do?

I agree with sawyersdad on Money Bar.

Last year in Cozumel was our wettest trip in 23 years of going to Mexico.

The Money Bar was a great place to chill for the day and the snorkeling was still awesome.

There's just nothing quite like the sound of rain on the snorkel.

If you are renting the purple bug from Isis be sure to wear a swim suit while driving. (Quite a sizable hole hole in floor).

Pepperell...
Level Contributor
280 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In the rain... what to do?

Eat....Drink.....Snorkel......Have Sex......repeat until the sun comes out...... ;-)

But then again, the sun shouldn't change that plan much!!