We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Central Nebraska
Level Contributor
404 posts
31 reviews
Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

Getting very excited for our trip to Cozumel in less than a week! We were there last summer and loved it but this time we are staying non-AI (this time at Casa Mexicana instead of Cozumel Palace). We will need to watch our dollars and cents (or make that pesos) so need some great dining recommendations that would be close to Casa Mexican.

Also, where would be the closest Bank to Casa where I could either use an ATM to get peso's or exchange UDS for peso's?

Thanks!

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

Mega is right up the street and chedruai a little bit further. Do not use the stand alone ATM's. As far as places to eat if you venture back off the main street there are a lot of good cheap places. I go to la seminita and get a torta and a coke for 40 pesos. Have you gotten mapchicks map of cozumel. It is only ten bucks and totally worth it. I just got mine after 8 trips there in last 2 years. Has all restaurants on it. enjoy 6 days to go for me

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

Closest, safe ATMs are at the MEGA supermarket (don't use the HSBC one), the main plaza (Bancomer bank opposite the clock tower), and Santander on Ave. 10 at Calle 3 Sur.

Your breakfasts are included with your room.

Best for lunches are cocinas economicas and comida del dia -- Sabores on Ave. 5 between Salas and 3, La Choza (ask for comida del dia) on Ave. 10 bet. Salas and 3, Miss Dollar on Ave. 20 bet. Salas and 3, Cocina Italiana (a real treat) at the corner of Calle 6 norte & Ave. 15, La Candela corner Ave. 5 & Calle 6, Los Chilangos Locheria on Ave.10 between 13 & 15 in Corpus Christi and so many others!

I recently enjoyed a day at Chankanaab and the food/beverage service was very reasonable so that may be another good way to go. Also Buccano's -- the food is a bit more but you can spend a full day snorkeling and using its facilities. (100-peso entry fee is credited to your food bill so don't lose the voucher.)

Dinners: Any of the tacquerias -- I like El Pique and Chilango's (both on Ave. 30) and El Foco is close to you & OK. Del Sur Empanadas on Ave. 5 & Calle 3. Cafe La Antigua on Ave. 5 between Calles 3 & 5 has the best enchiladas mole in town and the fish is pretty awesome, too.

You will not starve!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

Los Otates is great for cheap eats. We also loved El Camello--gyros, Mexican style! Mosaicoz and Casa Denis are also surprisingly well-priced. Not dirt cheap like the first two, but very reasonable.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

We use the ATM's (if we need an ATM) at Chedraui. Use the search box above and enter Mega ATM. There are some comments from folks who had problems w/ the ATM's at Mega...in 2011 and this year.

Cheap eats: we like El Pique, Popeye's, Sabores, Mr. Taco and El Coctelito.

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
564 posts
119 reviews
5. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

We always use the ATM at Chedraui that we swipe our card, which stays in our hand. If my memory is correct, there is only one of those at Chedraui and the rest you insert like the majority of ATMs in the US. Another nice benefit of using the swipe ATM is you could request Spanish or English for instructions.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
49,095 posts
164 reviews
6. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

Good advice , Deb. The swipe ATM's are Banamex and I try to use only those. Probably others in town but I also use the one on 30 at the Banamex branch.

Several of my favs for budget eats have been mentioned including El Pique, Mosaicoz (not cheap but very reasonable) and Miss Dollar. Another good buy with good choice is Abuelo Gerardos on 10 in the center.

michigan
Level Contributor
509 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

We R Here Right Now And Carmen The Owner (SaBoresTold Us That She Was Closed For The Low Season And Told Us She Might Not Reopen,Her Cook Went To Work In The French Quarter That HaA Reopened. Spelling ????

Prince George...
Level Contributor
213 posts
68 reviews
8. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

la Mission was great! Loved that place and it was reasonable. Alberto's is affordable and good too.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

Seabirds is closed for the season? Say it isn't so. We will be there in two weeks and were really looking forward to dining there!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
49,095 posts
164 reviews
10. Re: Dining on a Budget Recommendations and other Misc

What is Seabirds? Maybe Sabores?