We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berthoud CO
Level Contributor
44 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

I have been collecting books for the Children's English book section at the library. My friends must read a lot because I have more books than I can ever bring down!

Anyone from the Denver Area have extra room, and is willing to mule them down and get in contact with the library contact person to deliver them?

I will meet you, or bring some books to you.

okc
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

I wish i was closer. I hit up all my freinds in feb. and got more books than i could carry. I donated some to the book drive and gave some to my local freinds. They loved them.

MaconMO
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

If you can't find anyone, you might try asking one of the civic groups in your area for a donation for postage costs and mail them. Since it involves kids there are a lot that might help in some way and I believe books have a special postage rate - inquire at the post office.

I am thinking Elks, Moose, Lions, Junior Chamber(Jaycees), Rotary, Knights of Columbus - those kind of groups.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

The mail service is very UNreliable. It could take a couple months or not even get there at all. Mule is the way to go. We leave in a month and I'll be glad to deliver the books if nobody else steps up.

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

Actually, using the PO would be a really bad idea.........not only are they crooked on the Mexican end as far as "determining" duty charges, you'd probably also find the package open and half the contents missing, not to mention that it could take up to three or more months to get there. TRUST me, I am speaking from experience!

IF you wanted to go that route, you'd have more luck using DHL or FED EX........but I wouldn't risk it. (and $$$!)

One idea I had is that on Scuba Board Cozumel forum, people have set up monthly "who's gonna be there" lists. You could look at each list by month and see who is from Colorado and maybe ask them? Of course you'll need to work through the baggage fees, but ya never know.

I also always wonder about the actual airlines being philanthropic..........e.g. what if you went to Frontier Airlines counter and explained that you had a duffle bag of books for a charity....and spoke with a flight attendant going there who wouldn't mind muling the books?..........okay okay, dreaming I guess.

ALSO, (and then I'll shut up), I scored about fifty boxes of latex gloves for the CZM Red Cross a few years ago and happened to find a dive shop that had a group of about 20+ people going down to CZM.......they split up the boxes and managed to get them down there..........so maybe ask at your local dive ops?

Just some ideas.........good luck, DaVita!

Montrose Colorado
Level Contributor
300 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

DaVita-I will be flying out of Denver on June 22, arriving the evening before (June 21) and will be staying at a Park & Fly Hotel on Tower Road. I can get the books to CZM if you can meet me at my hotel on the 21st. How much weight/books are we talking about (so that I can plan for getting them on the plane)?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

Applause for tequilaczm!

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

Yes..three cheers!....Tequila, I'd get a copy of the posts asking for the books or something saying what they are destined for that's official in some way and perhaps (here's me dreaming again) the airline might waive the overweight fee?.......I dunno, the airlines sure need some warm and fuzzy press, no?.........books are heavy and I'd sure hate for you to get hit with one of those $100 overweight charges after doing something so nice! Maybe asking the airline ahead of time would be smart........who knows, but good on ya!

P.S. Check your pm's.

Berthoud CO
Level Contributor
44 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

Betsyincam--dive shops! What a great idea, a GROUP of people going down.....

Tequilaczm--I will pm you my info, I will gladly meet you at the hotel. As for how many books? I will give you as much as you will carry. I have over 8 banker boxes of books that have been donated, this could turn into my full time job. :-)

I called Frontier, they said NO, but I do believe it is possible to get in the good graces of someone at the counter at the airport rather than just go with the NO.

I've been reading on various posts that it would be easier through customs to distribute the books throughout your luggage rather than pack them in one box.

Thought about checking into Crowdfunding to see if I can raise the funds to pay for them as extra baggage.

Thanks everyone. As you can imagine, with all the books I've collected, I'll be needing as many people as I can get.

Berthoud CO
Level Contributor
44 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

Just checking again!

I have one person departing DIA at end of June who can carry 30 lbs of books.

Anybody else? I have many many more good quality books to go down.

I can meet you or bring the books to you!

Thanks!

10. Re: Anybody from Denver willing to mule books down to library?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 10, 2014