We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Blockade

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,222 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Blockade

Friday morning, taxi drivers blocked traffic along the Melgar after claiming they saw a local picking up tourists and ¨hacking¨ a fare. According to one article, tourists were frightened to see themselves surrounded by taxi drivers. It created a huge traffic jam for a time.

You can see one photo showing results of the action here:

www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php…

Tours by Taxi Cozumel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Fishing KayKib
Sightseeing Tours
Del Mar Aquatics
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Specialty Shops
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Blockade

Very interesting. I was just telling my Mom that this type of thing isn't allowed. She didn't believe me. Nope - no private taxi transactions allowed.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,222 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Blockade

They are very protective. My Mexican friend always drops me off and picks me up at the airport and he drives an Island Tours van in his work. So he is in the union. But even though he picks me up in his private vehicle, he always rushes to assure the airport van drivers that he is only picking up a friend. Otherwise, could be big problems for him.

One time, I picked up a friend at Puerta Maya who arrived on a Carnival ship. The taxi drivers tried to stop me but fortunately my friend was there to come to my defense.

Mentioned in this post
Puerta Maya
Puerta Maya
89 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
3. Re: Taxi Blockade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:47 am, March 17, 2013
new hampshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Blockade

I will be in Cozumel next month. I need to get a taxi for 11 people from the cruise port to paradise beach, does anyone know how much I should be paying for a round trip van ride?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 2:00 pm, March 16, 2013
5. Re: Taxi Blockade

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:04 am, March 17, 2013
Edited: 7:04 am, March 17, 2013
Ontario
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Blockade

We were there for the Ironman, and we arranged for the Reef to get us a cab for 6:15 am. We wandered out, and one of the employees said our cab would be just a couple of minutes. Great! Except...it never came. He paced back and forth into the road, went and consulted with someone else...and finally offered to take us in his own car. He did, and he could have gotten in a LOT of trouble. He was awesome.

Edited: 2:10 pm, March 16, 2013
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Blockade

Which cruise port? It matters.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Blockade

For 11 people, you'll need two vans that each hold 5-6 passengers. The price is $20 dollars each vehicle from the downtown pier or $19 dollars each from the twin piers south of town. Expect the return fare to be the same.

9. Re: Taxi Blockade

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:45 am, March 17, 2013
10. Re: Taxi Blockade

Removed on: 7:45 am, March 17, 2013