We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MaconMO
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

We will be staying in a condo downtown close to seafront and town. I know to ask our managerto prep the condo with some charcoal for the grill and coffee and coffe fixings for my temperment and as a rule, we always pack along junk food from home to make our stay easier.

I want to stock the fridge with fruit for snacks and we will want to buy some fresh fish/seafood for the cook out and so I will visit the Mercado Municipal for those things. I am wondering what to do about "side dishes" for the cook out.

Does the Mercado Municipal have any deli style venues to pick up side dishes? If not, who does?

I know Mercado has restaurants in it and vendors for fruit and meats but what else is there that I should know about for stocking the fridge for a CONDO stay?

AND the last time we were there there was no Mountain Dew available... anyone know where this can be found? After 3 days my DH is fit to be tied and hand over a fortune for one Dew!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,427 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

The mercado is small and I dont believe you are going to find deli style food. But Mega and Chedraui have a good selection of those items. I have seen Mountain Dew many places, should be no problem.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

Tienda Guido's- 15 Av. & Calle 10. Everything deli plus fresh handmade pastas, quiche & tiramisu. Or check put Mega & Chedraui's delis...not as good but sufficient. Guido's will be pricier but you get what you pay for. I'm very cautious when I buy pre-made sides from supermarket delis. In fact I don't... since my husband is a colon cancer survivor and has a wierd gut. Mountain Dew is around sometimes but can be hard to locate. A couple of stores have it sporadically.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,427 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

I like Guido´s also, but living here its a bit pricier than I want. And I can usually find what I want at Mega. But understand the problem if medical issues.

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
786 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

Grilling! Now your talking my language. I wish we could get the quality of natural carbon/charcoal that I get in Coz at home. Love those HUGE chunks they get down there. The bags in the U.S. seem to be mostly small pieces and dust that falls through the grates. If you havent grilled with real "natural carbon" before, be prepared. It takes a bit longer to get hot, but gets MUCH hotter IMO.

Someone here with some accuracy should give the addresses of the place out past 65th and........5?,7? for fresh fish. Think there is a place near the cemetery on 5 too. Better yet, go downtown by the water and buy fresh fillets from fisherman I've seen filleting them on the spot in the mornings. The last two times I looked at the whole fish at Chedraui and Mega....I thought they looked....well..not so fresh. They smelled and the eyes were cloudy if not sunken into the head. I'd GUESS that the fillets they have were frozen too.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

I keep an ever changing word document on my computer and copy and paste tips I see here and there in between trips...this is one I copied and pasted regarding the fish coop by the cemetary Retemrap mentions...

"best way to get more lobster for your money is buy it yourself and grill it on the beach - about 300 pesos per KIL. at the fishermans coop - on 5 at the end of the street going South - where the street ends at the cemetary - open mornings - you should see the selections"

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

HC de Monterrey is the name of the restaurant. From what I have been told you can go in and eat or you can order your fish/meat right there to take home.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

I've eaten the sides from Mega with NO issues...but I can digest a tin can (I'm pretty sure. Not up to any bets, dares, etc.)

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
164 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

I agree with Tienda Guidos! They have some of the best pasta ever! Filled with wonderful herbs as well. Or buy some of their huge selection of spices with herbs, go to Mega or Chedraui and buy some pasta, fresh vegies, etc and make your own wonderful salads...we do this often:) Enjoy! ( I think a nice sized pkg of macaroni at Mega was about 50 cents (USD) to make macaroni salad!)

Edited: 1:29 pm, March 14, 2013
MaconMO
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

Thanks for all the info guys and gals!

The light pasta sides sound doable - think I will pack a vinagrette dressing from home to dress some pasta and veges. My trip to the Mega was daunting last visit and labels are confusing on things like salad dressing.

WTH - at this rate I hope not to have to pack another small suitcase just for foods! Lol

Wineott - I really like the TA "save this post" trip planner on here. Proving to be of great help in saving all the posts with info I like.

Retemrap - I love natural charcoal too. Makes the food taste so good.

Berthoud CO
Level Contributor
44 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for deli style food for condo - Mercado Municipal

There are 2 places on 5th by the Cemetary for meat/seafood options ;

--one is HC Monterray, primarily a meat grill place. You can eat in, buy it cooked to go, or buy it to cook at home.

--the other place is Bahia del Caribe, the seafood/fish market restaurant. You can eat in, buy it cooked to go or buy it market style and cook it at home.

(Also right there is Cozumel Yoga Center, with Shakti yoga teacher, she is fabulous. Wish I had yoga like this in Colorado.)

For me, I didn't like the look of the seafood at the Mega. Pros and Cons here...larger selection than Chedraui, but Chedraui sold shrimp with the heads on, a necessity for flavor IMO. I didn't get to it this time, but I would buy fish from the guys down on the Malecon in the morning. They are usually right there around 3rd or 5th.....usually around 7 or 7:30 am. They will clean it and gut it for you. Selection varies. Brush up on your fish breeds in Spanish :-)

Sorry, I know this thread was about deli foods.......