We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here is my dilema

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Here is my dilema

Last month I booked our first, real, family vacation. We are set to arrive on your island March 20th and depart March 27th. We will be staying at the Sabor, and to be frank, the recent reviews have been less than reassuring… I am an optimist to a fault and give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but the last thing I want to happen is to arrive only to be disappointed. My wife and I know that we did not book a 5 star resort and are not expecting that.

My question is this;

If the safety, comfort and happiness of my family is on the line and we determine that we cannot stay at this establishment, what is the recommended course of action? I realize a penalty will have to be paid if cancelation occurs, the level of which varies the closer to the time of check in.

Directly, what resort on your Island may be able to accommodate our party (2 rooms, 1-2 adults, 2 children ages 10 and 12, 1- 1 senior). Our original booking is for an all-inclusive and at this point, would like to keep it that way.

We are looking forward to snorkeling from the beach and lounging around the pool.

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance.

Prince George...
Level Contributor
213 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here is my dilema

Cozumel palace, but it might be Adults only. El cozumeleno I heard is great for kids too and families.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here is my dilema

the palace is not adults only..they have activities for children

oz
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here is my dilema

cozumel palace is not adults only , it's a very nice hotel but it is in town and not on a beach. El Coz is on a beach but not a high level resort. If a sandy beach is a big thing for you than the palace will be off the list.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here is my dilema

I say just relax and enjoy. Don't stress it. I am one of those people that always worry about other people and their good time- maybe thats why i go alone. Safety is not an issue- get a rentl car and go to town- may e do the amazing race (i have never done it) go out on a snorkling trip to the reefs. Have the kids and yourself do a discover scuba. I stay intown at hotel cozumel and it is basically a place to sleep. there is so much to do and explore on the island. So like i said relax - don't stress- enjoy-

oz
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here is my dilema

maybe Park royal it is not on the beach but across from it.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
894 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here is my dilema

If you booked with a travel agent, I would put them on notice now. The other option is to contact the people you paid whether it is a credit card company or not and do the same. This is the only way a dispute can work in your favor. If you have travel insurance contact them as well.I wish the best, and also give my vote to the Palace and not consider the other hotel option.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here is my dilema

Realize there is a BIG price difference between Sabor & the Palace. Probably even more so when you are talking last minute during high season.

Definitely talk to your travel agent about your options.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
241 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here is my dilema

Did you get trip insurance? We had originally booked our April vacation in th DR but my wife was not happy with reviews of the resort an also security issues at the airport that had popped up so we canceled (was for the cost of the insurance) and re-booked the Cozumel Palace, where we had stayed before and knew we would enjoy.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here is my dilema

I'd see if there's a cost involved with switching, first of all. Alternate hotels within the same price range would be Allegro, El Coz, possibly (?) Iberostar and all would suit your needs.

That being said, I don't think you have to worry about safety if you stick with the Sabor.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here is my dilema

Another AI that you may want to consider is the Fiesta Americana. It is not far from the Sabor, between the town and Sabor. The pools, activities, and snorkeling kept my 8 and 11 year old busy on our last visit. It is not 5 star my any means, but the reviews lately have been very good and it may be in a price range that is more acceptable to you.