We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Cozumel to Belize

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 posts
Save Topic
How to get from Cozumel to Belize

Hi we are Staying in Cozumel for a week and then to Belize (Placencia) for a week. What is the best way to get there? What airlines? Should we go to Cancun and then to Belize? Where can we fly to from Cozumel?

Thanks for any assistance!

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

“ Cozumel to belize ”

Apr 21, 2012, 9:55 AM

We are looking at travelling down to Belize from Cozumel on the ado and we gather we have to goto chetumal. How do we then travel on to one of the cayes? Which one's are best and is it easy?

If you type cozumel to belize in search box this was an old thread that should answer your questions.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,381 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

No air service but ADO does operate a daily bus which you can board in Playa del Carmen to Belize with stops in Orange Walk, Corozol and Belize City. This bus does not stop at Chetumal. And ADO has many daily Cancun to Chetumal buses if you want to use a water taxi to Belize. Good information on this site:

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Edited: 8:57 am, February 11, 2013
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,381 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

¨ And ADO has many daily Cancun to Chetumal buses ¨

I intended to say Playa del Carmen to Chetumal buses.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

I'd probably take the overnight bus from Playa del Carmen to Belize City. Then, you can fly from Belize City to Placencia.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

You actually can get there by air from Cancun.

Of course, the cheapest way I could find was via Dallas or Miami for over USD$10,000 with an overnight layover, so taking the bus seems by far the best choice.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

Have you been to Belize before and/or lately? I'd be comfortable taking the ADO bus to Belize City, but I'd be real tempted to stay on-board and get a ride right back to Mexico. The Cayes are nice, but my opinion of Belize could be summarized with one word: scary!

I suggest traveling with enough food and fluids to sustain yourselves as options will be minimal.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,381 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

Who is flying from Cancun to Belize, Mark. Its good to know. Last I had heard was a Belize carrier had plans to start the service but never heard they started it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

First of all, Placencia is not one of the cayes. it is on the mainland in the southern part of Belize - and like Jean says, best served by air from Belize City.

So, I would agree with Robert's suggestion to get you to Belize City, they fly from the Belize City MUNICIPAL airport to Placencia. It will be cheaper than if you go to the International airport - and closer to the bus station.

Still laughing over the "scary" comment. I suspect the poster meant Belize City, not the entire country other than the cayes. Belize City isnt the most enticing place, but I've walked around there - alone - and have never had any problems. I know people who live there. But, this is like saying to avoid America because Detroit is scary. The country is wonderful. I've been there 4 times (3 years in a row after my first trip) and have never repeated a place and still have another 2-3 trips to do there to cover the country. The food is wonderful, the people are welcoming and multilingual, there is a lot to see and do. No fluids? Belikin Stout - best dark beer ever and I'm about to go to DC to get the Belizean rum you cant find in NYC!

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 7:50 pm, February 11, 2013
cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

Good evening, You think there will be food and fluids available during the midnight bus run from Playa? Have you walked around Belize City alone lately? I know the route, I had friends who built a house in Placencia, they thought they had found paradise. They changed their minds when a crack house moved into the neighbourhood.

"If I'm stealing for me, that's stealing, but stealing for WE ain't stealing. I have friends in Belize City and I stay in contact with too! What did your friends say about the panic on the Monday last month after the four were found after an especially heavy loss of life weekend. They closed the cruise port area and many downtown businesses closed up in fear of another riot.

I really trust travel with ADO as I have made well over 100 trips with them. I was tempted to suggest to the poster to take the water taxi from Chetumal to Ambergris Caye, try to fly from there to Belize City and then south to Placencia. I don't drink alcohol, but most seem to consider Belikin terrible.

I defer to your experience of four trips. I only have one not counting twice to Corazol before the Free Trade Zone ruined that area. Hands down Belize had the most corrupt government on any place I have seen. Many wonderful people true, but some of the worst conditions you could encounter as well.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from Cozumel to Belize

Robert, my post was needlessly ambiguous. I couldn't find any direct flights from Cancun to anywhere in Belize, just ridiculous flights via various locations in the US at truly preposterous quoted fares.