We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PADI Certi course cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Sea Cliff, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
PADI Certi course cozumel

We are family of 4 looking to do full certification in Cozumel Feb 2013. Currently booked at Cozumel Palace, alos considering Occidental Grand (but far from town). Can someone recommend a good dive shop for the open water cert course. Thtanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

Aqua Safari is back as the in house op at the Palace & they are a highly respected teaching op.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

My husband did it with Blanca of Blue Project Cozumel. He loved it!!!!!!!!! Read the reviews on TA.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

Scuba Du has great instructors. My grandson did the resort course the last two summers, but didn't get certified, it was just to dive for vacation.

My DM I've used for several years, is an instructor now. He speaks great English and he's very patient. His name is Hector Reyes.

They are located at Presidente.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

The convenience of using Aqua Safari while staying at the Cozumel Palace is perfect. I also highly recommend them. Really no point in going to a different hotel. Blanca is great too!

Edited: 2:39 pm, February 02, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

Yes Blanca has a great reputation as an instructor too but you might even be able to use some of the Palace credits toward the lessons. Worth investigating & may balance out the cost difference between the Grand & Palace.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

We did ours with Dive House at Fiesta Americana. And had a great experience with all the in water class work. But be sure and do all your bookwork online before you go. Which we did not , it will eat into your vacation time. Very tedious to be in a hotel room reading books and watching videos, while everyone else is enjoying the sun and sea. I'm sure you will have a great experience.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

You cannot go wrong with Aqua Safari. Another reputable company is Mestizo Divers with Freddy Contreras. Freddy used to work for Aqua Safari and has trained hundreds and hundreds of divers (the number is most probably much higher than that) He picks up at the Cozumel Palace as well.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

While we were on vacation over Christmas 2011 my friend used Aldora to get PADI certified.Very professional, convenient downtown location.They used Villa Aldora to do pool work and shore dives which is on the north hotel zone.The class work was no big deal to her but she does have a PHD.First class operation all the way. Only the best in Cozumel.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

As a former instructor I agree that you should strongly consider getting your book/video work done in advance so you only have your in water work left to do there.. As FunNFrolics said, it will avoid that eating into your vacation time and give you time to read up, understand, etc.

Have you already done the classwork at a local dive shop? Many people do the classwork in their hometown then get a "unversal referral" form from their instructor - certifies you've done your class/pool portion of the work and just need the openwater dives. To make things as seamless as possible arrange your certification dives through the dive operator you plan to dive with in Cozumel in advance so they know you are coming and can plan accordingly.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PADI Certi course cozumel

I agree...book work at home. Don't tie up your precious time on vacation with you face and mind in a book. It will take away from your water time and anything else you have planned to do.