We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayan Archaeological Sites

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Level Contributor
132 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Mayan Archaeological Sites

I'm a bit of an amateur Mayan archaeologist, and I've recently been reading a number of academic papers on archaeological digs in Cozumel (mostly Freidel and Sabloff).

I've concluded there are ~30-40 known sites on the island.

I've been to the big/well known ones - San Gervasio (plan on going back), El Cedral, El Caracol @ Punta Sur

My question is - of the other sites on the island, are any accessible?

Is there currently any way to get to El Castillo? Boat tour?

Are any of the other east side sites north of the Transversal Rd. within walking distance of Mezcalito's?

Anyone have GPS coordinates for any of the sites along the east coast?

Basically, I'm looking for a list of anything accessible outside what I've already seen.

Thanks much everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
El Cedral
El Cedral
301 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
El Caracol
El Caracol
31 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
cozumel
Level Contributor
173 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mayan Archaeological Sites

you might want to check out ExBalam by Valldolid next time. Well worth the visit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ek'_Balam

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mayan Archaeological Sites

Good post thanks for sharing as I haven't seen any of these on Cozumel. I am wondering if it would be worth my effort to get to some of these as I really wonder if anything will compare after seeing Tikal in Guatemala and Copan in Honduras. What is it about San Gervasio that you liked that you would consider going back?

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mayan Archaeological Sites

While worth seeing, of course you won't find any to compare to Tikal, Copan or Palenque in Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Palenque
Palenque
Chiapas, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
14. Re: Mayan Archaeological Sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 23, 2014