We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsure which town to pick...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Topic
Unsure which town to pick...

Hi there,

My friend and I are both in our mid-twenties and planning a trip for this winter-- January or Feb.

I've spent time in Puerto Vallarta and Zihua and am looking forward to seeing the Caribbean side of the country.

We are both interested in going out (dancing, etc) but not necessarily party-animals. We're very interested in local art, shopping, etc and won't want to just park ourselves on a beach for one week. That said, we do want to stay on the beach with easy access to ocean swimming.

Can you recommend the best spot? Town or hotel in mind? I am leaning towards Tulum based on the hotels that I'm seeing, but am curious if it's maybe too quiet?

Thank you for feedback!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Puerta Maya
Shopping Malls
Del Mar Aquatics
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Specialty Shops
KAOKAO Chocolates Damarsicheli
Gift & Specialty Shops, Factory Tours
Milano Diamond Gallery
Gift & Specialty Shops
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unsure which town to pick...

You'd like Playa Del Carmen.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unsure which town to pick...

I second that recommendation.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unsure which town to pick...

Playa for sure.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
163 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unsure which town to pick...

Playa or Cancun, could also travel to Tulum from there. Cozumek can be pretty quiet compared to those places. Cancun has tons of big clubs and things to do but less of the local flair.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
oz
Level Contributor
4,470 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unsure which town to pick...

If price is not a factor check out Playacar palace that way you can use all of their other resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
200 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
minnesota
Level Contributor
533 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unsure which town to pick...

Tulum is too far away. Cancun has great beaches, bars, & shopping and you can fly in and be at your hotel quicker. Playa is a 45 - 1hour ride from the airport. We don't mind as we go for 2 weeks. But if you're doing 7 days, I'd find an all inclusive in Cancun so you can just beach it, eat & drink during day, and then go into town for the nightlife. Otherwise, plan on day 1 and day 7 shot in an airplane, airport and getting there.

Playa is our favorite, but the prices just keep going higher and higher. I hate to see that happening in what was once a "sleepy fishing village". :(

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Unsure which town to pick...

Thanks for the feedback! We are staying 9 nights total I think... We are definitely not the all-inclusive types. Would prefer a smaller hotel/less resorty feel. Looking at Coco's Cabana's now in Playa del Carmen. Any other thoughts?

I also was looking at Isla Mujeres. Seems very remote but with a fairly active little local community and food scene, which I dig.

Let me know!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
715 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unsure which town to pick...

Hi maddieks,

Cozumel would be a good option for you but you would have to stay close to town in a place like Coral princes where you have your breakfast included and other meals offered at a decent price. You also have a few nice little condos over Guido\s that would give you aces to the love Cafe for bands at night, has well you would be walking distance to Wet windy's to go fro drink's, food shopping. Lot's of things for keepingg your girls busy during the day and at night.

If you want an AI option close to town with small beach and aces to snorkeling the Hotel Cozumel. If you want exotic then you can split your stay and go for a few days at Las Ventanas on the east side...

Cozumel can give you what your are looking for also.

Lyne in Gatineau, Canada

Mentioned in this post
Guido's
Guido's
2,461 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
1,908 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
9. Re: Unsure which town to pick...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, December 17, 2013