We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Cozumeleno Resort

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
El Cozumeleno Resort

We honeymooned at the El Cozumeleno and loved it. We want to return next month (May) for our 25th anniversary.

Hotel wasn't an all inclusive then, and we're not crazy about being locked into an all inclusive now, especially since the reviews on the food have not been good (except for breakfast which apparently is great). Back then there were not many great restaurants except for one place we found that had fantastic shrimp pizza and sangria.

(which we ate there 3 times once we discovered it!)

Question 1) Are there alot of great places to eat now that we'd be sorry to be stuck at all inclusive at our honeymoon place where we'd really like to stay again? Or should we not worry about it. (we've never done an all

inclusive stay before so don't know if we'd like it, but I do know we love mexican food, ESPECIALLY shrimp!!! Want to eat lots of it and every day!

2) Does anyone know the name of that restaurant that has great shrimp pizza and sangria?

Thanks so much for any insight anyone can give us!

AUSTIN
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

I'm an AI guy, I hate bartering over every meal, its too much like work, at any rate to me the AI is worth it for the drinks and breakfast if nothing else, the Coz has room service too which is nice. I also think food overall is high in Mexico so if you just ate some of the meals at the Coz you would probably get your $$ out of it. Besides I can consume alot of drinks/beer its hot down there in June I mean Caribbean Hot!!!

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

barry is right....don't think of an AI as being locked into eating there every meal...it's just good to know that you have that option already paid for if you decide to stay in...we stay AI and normally eat out several times for dinner

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

i've been wondering, is the cozumeleno an AI only?

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

I'm like Easy, I don't think of it as AI. I haven't eaten an evening meal at the hotel in years. But the breakfast is nice, and the lunch right there when we return from the dives just makes things real easy :) We eat downtown every night. The El Coz is simply the location, atmosphere and quality service we've come to enjoy. And the trip downtown is far less than from the some of the southern resorts. Its all a matter of preference and likes. If it works for you, its great. If not, there are quality hotels, AI and non, up and down the island. You really can't loose no matter where you stay :)

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

I have been going there for several years, and it has always been A I .

Claude Dill

kansas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Cozumeleno Resort

Thanks for the replies! I know Cozumel has undoubtedly changed quite alot in 25yrs! We were there for a cruise port 2 yrs ago and were looking forward very much to revisiting Coz but the day was cut in half to get the heck out of dodge before a hurricaine was to hit.

25 years ago I think only 1/2 of the island was developed but I don't really remember the beach at El Coz being anything other than great, don't recall it being rocky and not as good as farther down as I some remarks I have been reading on this forum. Is that a result of last years' hurricaine or were we too honeymoon eyed to even notice?

Anyway, I think we're going to go for it and spend our 25th at the place we spent our honeymoon. I hope we'll have a great experience with the hotel and staff like most of the posts have had and not a bad one like some unlucky few I guess. All and all it appears to still be a great place!

Any further tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Should we request rooms on a certain floor or area for a spectacular view?

I remember we had a great huge balcony room with like a living area, but have no clue which part of hotel it was in!