We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

Hi all. We are flying in to CUN on AC1890 Dec 22 at 7:35pm. There is a Mayair flight that leaves for CZM at 8:30pm. We would love to catch it as we already have accommodations in Coz. Thing is I have never flown thru CUN and I am worried we wont make that flight. If anyone has any experience with this connection I would love to hear from you. Also the other option is to stay in CUN or Playa Del Carmen for the night, any suggestions on where to stay? Is there a decent hotel near airport?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

I would not plan on it. You cannot be assured of getting through immigration and customs in time to get to Terminal 1 for the Mayair flight.

Whether you stay in Cancun or Playa del Carmen is your choice. Personally, I might be tempted to stay close to the airport and relax.

My preference is as follows for near the airport:

marriott.com/hotels/…

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

Thank you so much Co_Pilot. WIll take your advice.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

Should you decide to stay at the Courtyard, they do have a free shuttle to/from the airport. Alone, I would go back to the airport sometime the next morning and catch the ADO bus to Playa del Carmen (PDC)...then the ferry. That process is here:

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Or you could catch a Mayair flight.

Another option to PDC is a private service such as usa-transfers.com

It all depends on what floats your boat, cost vs convenience, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
595 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Ontario
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

Yeah, it won't happen with an hour. You'll probably spend at least that long in line for immigration, and then you still have customs.

If you really want to get to Coz the same night, you could try to catch a ferry--if you have a private transfer waiting (we've used USA Transfers and have been impressed) you will get to PDC faster than by bus. You'd just have to check to make sure what time the last ferry is first.

Mentioned in this post
USA Transfers
USA Transfers
7,832 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

The last ferry leaves Playa at 10:00PM. With a private transfer or taxi, you should arrive in good time for the ferry. At best remote chance of making Maya Air flight, I have done it, but only with carry on and the Cancun airport was dead. I was out the door in less than 25 minutes after leaving plane, but you can never expect that, it usually takes longer for your luggage to be unloaded. I have never flown in that late to Cancun. I'd go with ground transport and you should be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
410 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Shelbyville...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

I don't even think Mayair will accept your reservation for that short of a time. If I'm remembering correctly they required a minimum of 2 hours from arrival of your flight to CUN to departure to CZM. Last year we just took the bus and ferry upon arrival and used Mayair for departure from CZM to CUN.

Why not just take the bus or private transportation to PDC, get a room and enjoy your first night in Playa. Then take the ferry in the morning to Coz. If you took the bus, then the cost of the Mayair would probably pay for your hotel in Playa. Particularly if there is more than one person.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

I have made it through CUN in 17 minutes from main gear touching until at the ADO bus in Terminal 2. That is very little time and was based upon getting off the plane near first, being first at one immigration counter and first at the customs point (carry-on only).

I do not recall my most recent CUN processing time but maybe it was also about twenty minutes. Carry on only and near first off the plane. Those are great times but I would never suggest that you will see the same.

If you want to try the Mayair flight, find out who to see (supposedly Lomas folks), what color shirts they wear,, where you find them and ask Mayair how late you can arrive without a reservation and get on that last flight.

With that info, you can determine when to blow off Plan A and implement Plan B. You may determine before you go that Plan A is not realistic and implement Plan B.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Ado
Ado
595 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
713 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

Hi Jemmy,

Done it and Mayair will not take you if you are not at terminal 1 at lease 60 minutes before take off....because of security and all that crap.

So your best bet if you have carry-on is a private TS you will be at the ferry and in Cozumel by 10h40 or so.

We have done it many time no problem and you are home away from home on your first night.

Have fun because we will we are coming on a quick trip on Dec 14th till the 17th back to Canada for 4 days then back on the Island for the 22nd.

Crazy but we love it...

Lyne n cooler Canada

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

Merci lyner. Good to hear a fellow Canuck has made it happen before! Gotta say sleeping in our beds at Residencias Reef the first night is very very appealing!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection time from Air Canada to Mayair CUN to CZM

Merci lyner. Good to hear a fellow Canuck has made it happen before! Gotta say sleeping in our beds at Residencias Reef the first night is very very appealing!