We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mega Store

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
gauley
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mega Store

We thought we would have the taxi drop us of at the Mega Store then walk to Los cinco is there many things or stores to see between the Mega and Los Cinco. Can you get a taxi at Los Cinco back to Puerta Maya

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,266 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mega Store

From Mega to Conco Soles, its almost constant shops, bars and restaurants. Taxis always waiting at Cinco Soles to take you anywhere you want to go.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mega Store

Not sure if you are grocery shopping at mega or not, but if you are you may want to do the reverse. Start at Cinco soles and end up at mega and get a taxi there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
409 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mega Store

Cinco soles is quite a hike from Mega, so I would start at cinco soles if you plan on carrying bags from Mega.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mega Store

I think it is about 12 or 13 blocks between Cinco Sol and Mega. It is all ocean front and constant shops. I agree, if you are buying groceries, start at the North end at CS and walk toward Mega. It's an easy walk with lots to see. Taxis are plentiful anywhere along the way and in the parking lot at Mega.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mega Store

I still wonder why Mega. It is a grocery store, sort of like a Walmart of clothes, household items, food etc. They do have a large bakery section so not sure the previously stated reason for going to Zermatt. Since the poster is arriving and returning to a cruise ship, I am guessing they are not doing heavy grocery shopping.

The main location of Los Cinco Soles is 11 short blocks away, but they have a branch location of their most commonly sold items at Langosta which is next door to Mega. They also have a store located at Puerta Maya. When I shared space with Los Cinco Soles on top of the pier, I used to point out that their merchandise was the same, same price, more selection downtown, but don't buy heavy onyx chess sets, carry them around when they could be purchased next to the ship.

Go to the Chocolate Factory, then take a cab to Los Cinco Soles. If you want to walk to Zermatt, it's four short blocks away. Then what do you need at Mega that you can't get elsewhere? Taxis will be everywhere waiting and in October when they often wait two hours between fares, they try to charge as much as they can to make up for their starvation income.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mega Store

I'm trying to understand the interest in Mega also. If I was there for only a day from a cruise ship I certainly wouldn't waste my time there. If I was a first timer and staying a week or more I might find it interesting once...or twice. It's a Mexican grocery store.

gauley
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mega Store

We have been to Cozumel many times and have taken all kinds of excursions and driver for the day. My husband loves the mega last time we had a driver for the day he took us there. My husband buys coffee there and I buy vanilla and spices. He says the coffee is cheaper there. He wants to walk around Cozumel. We don't drink. We live at the beach in the US he has no interest in going. We did the Sub last year because the operators will not let him do snuba or other water sports because of his stent (heart) .We decided to do the chocolate factory in Belize.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,266 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mega Store

Mega would not be for everyone but I often enjoy grocery stores in any country I visit. Like looking at the different items and , of course, always buy a few things. When I shop at Mega, I always take a break and have a coffee in their coffee shop Good coffee and people watching---and they also give you a basket of mini pastries.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mega Store

I'd probably buy vanilla at Los Cinco Soles. Look carefully at the labels, most of the vanilla sold at the large grocery stores is artificial flavoring. I've never checked at Mega myself, I prefer not to shop there as I don't like the owner. I do buy imported items if I can't get them elsewhere. Sedena, the "military PX" used to be the only regular store with real vanilla at good prices.

Mega does dispel the notion that the country is mired in Third World products.

North America
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mega Store

JerryAK is correct re: vanilla at Mega. It is the artificial stuff, Los Cinco Soles has their own bottled brand which is pure vanilla and it is very good and reasonably priced. Or you can walk north another block or so from the Cinco Soles on Melgar and purchase the vanilla from Sedena which is also the real deal and has a couple of different sizes.