We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel in August?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
phoenix
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel in August?

I'm from Phoenix, so it will be hot here anyway, but still, has anyone been to Cozumel in August?

How is it? (I'm thinking of eloping there...)

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel in August?

HOT as a $2.00 pistol! They dont see the 100 degree temperatures you get in Arizona. But, with the humidity and the fact you are closer to the equator a 90 degree day is smoking hot! Make sure you get up early and get going, then as the sun rises retire back to the room for a nap or swim in the hotel pool. The mornings and evenings cool off considerably. Once the sun goes down, the island cools off very fast. Also, take note that it is VERY EASY to burn your skin in the sun there. The rays of the sun are very potent there. Take water with you if you venture out in the midday sun for a trip and wear light colored , loose fitting preferable cotton clothing and a hat.

phoenix
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel in August?

Thanks so much, I feel much better! :-) :-) :-) (It can get up to 115 degrees in AZ!)

Are the mosquitos bad in August?

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel in August?

I've been to Cozumel over 30 times and not once can I think of being bothered by mosquitos. If you venture into the jungle on a horsebaclk ride or go to the marshes to see the crocodiles. Then maybe.....my wife is usually the first person to get bit, if someone is going to get bit and she has never complained either. I would say NO...but what the heck...buy a $3.00 can of Off at Wal-Mart and throw it in with your toiletries. You probably will not use it, but at least you'll have it.

phoenix
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel in August?

You're SO funny!!!! OK, I won't worry about it!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel in August?

Yes, the humidty is the thing that is the killer. It is 90 degrees F, but also 80% humidity, so with the heat index, it is about 107 F.

But you have a dry heat in Phoenix, so it does not seem so bad. If you are on the beach in the shade drinking a cool one, it is not so bad.

tom@hotelflamingo.com

phoenix
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel in August?

OK, thanks! How bad can it be on the beach, anyway? :-)

Nampa, ID
Level Contributor
28 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel in August?

I have been to Cozumel in August the last 2 summers. It does get very warm, and it is quite humid. And yes, you can get sunburned very quickly there (use lots of sunscreen). But I don't think it is too uncomfortable as long as you are near the water. When you are walking around town during the day it is very hot so dress appropriately and wear a hat. It won't be anywhere near as bad as Phoenix, though. I have not been bothered with mosquitos.

phoenix
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel in August?

Thanks Idaho!